go_snow

Design me a 4 channel outdoor system.......please!

Knowing full well that a built system is far better than an over the counter system, I was curious if any of you could recommend components for a 4 channel outdoor security system. I'm new to the security system, but due to theft I need one (just don't have the time to research to become an 'expert' in the matter). What would you guys suggest, say in the 500-1000 dollar range. Thanks!

Costco has a good bang for the buck IP system with the QSee if the 6mm lenses work for your locations. If not, maybe mix and match some lenses to match your needs. You might be able to get a 16ch Dahua nvr and a mix of 1.3 and 2MP cams with Poe injectors for around a grand if you brave aliexpress.

Got a free computer to use for nvr or dvr? Geovision 4ch analog card (200) with, say, a CNB dome or two, and a Samsung 2080R bullet, and maybe a Speco would be about a grand. That'd give a good mix of analogs if you didn't want to go Dahua IP.

NVR+ on a desktop with a couple of 1.3mp Dahua bullets, a pair of 2.0mp bullets, and a Zyxel Poe switch could be had for about a grand if you had the computer.

Knowing full well that a built system is far better than an over the counter system, I was curious if any of you could recommend components for a 4 channel outdoor security system.

Costco has a good bang for the buck IP system with the QSee if the 6mm lenses work for your locations.

206748_1.jpg

Facepalm the budget, not the options. Pick another standalone NVR IP system with 4 cams that fits the under $1000 budget before facepalming it. You DID notice my custom Dahua option after pointing out the off-the-shelf QSee system (tweaked with aftermarket lenses to fit the locations AND his "custom" requirements) with awesome warranty and some support that was closer to his $500 starting point, yes?

he said right off the top he didn't want a package system, so the very first thing you did was suggest a package system...

Tweaked with cheap modifications to fit his particular needs, yes. I then elaborated on the budget-friendly IP camera theme that stretched his budget a bit more but had a worse warranty and possibly worse support. It's hard to make accurate recommendations for a generic "outdoor" system without knowing distances and ID requirements. I guess I fail to see where modifying a package system goes completely against what he was asking. Most package systems have lousy lens choices for anything beyond general observation.

The Costco QSee package at least has the benefit of price-class leading recorded detail, good night performance, and the ability to swap lenses for a better custom-tailored installation, no?

I do however admit to having limited time and typing that recommendation up on my phone while waiting in the car for my daughter to get out of theatre.

Thanks for the help guys. If i were to buy one of the systems from costco, what would it take to swap out a camera for say, the 2080R Bullet? I guess i don't know how easy it is to mix and match cameras. Thanks

Thanks for the help guys. If i were to buy one of the systems from costco, what would it take to swap out a camera for say, the 2080R Bullet? I guess i don't know how easy it is to mix and match cameras. Thanks

I haven't tried it, so can't say for sure.

The NVR is said to support IP cameras made by: Dahua, Arecont Vision, Axis, Canon, Dynacolor, Panasonic, Samsung, Sanyo, Sony and Onvif.

The Samsung, CNB, and Speco cams I mentioned are analog cams- not compatible with the IP system from Costco. You'd need an analog standalone DVR or DVR card for a computer to use them. Here are a couple of links to videos of the Samsung and Speco cams.

The Speco gives good colour in low light without the drawbacks of IR. When it's REALLY low light, you need IR. The Samsung isn't terribly expensive and gives good detail under IR without washing out faces. CNB makes a decent low cost vandal dome that's decent in low light for a colour camera and has a varifocal lens (zoom in or have a wide angle cam- you pick). It also sees but doesn't throw infrared. I use mine with an $80 940nm CMVision infrared illuminator (got it off Amazon) which doesn't glow a bit. Totally invisible at night under my deck and lights up my driveway quite nicely.

The Samsung SCO-2080R is under $250, I got my CNB VCM-24VFs for $135 each, and Speco Intensifier bullets are available for about $270. They each have their strengths but are analog and won't give the detail that the QSee 720P hi-def IP system from Costco will give.

Take the Costco system and get a batch of mixed lenses from dx.com to give you, say, a 3.6mm wide view cam or two, maybe leave one or two 6mm lenses stock if they work for you, and maybe throw in a 12 or 16mm to zoom in for facial detail where you park your car, or whatever. That's a bit of a DIY project that someone else on here tried out. It worked for him but had some drawbacks as well.

You'd get better results with a 16ch Dahua NVR (you'll need 16ch because higher resolution IP cams eat bandwidth and you won't get 16 1.3mp cams attached, and DEFINITELY not if you start adding 2mp cams), a Zyxel 8ch POE switch, and mix and matching some different IP cams from someone like Kyle at Empire Security on EBay. He doesn't stock a lot of different lens options in the ESC-2100 1.3MP bullets but I've heard he might special order some in if a customer doesn't mind waiting. You could also add a 3200 2MP bullet which is a varifocal and much better cam than the 1.3mp bullets, but at $350 a pop they'll strain your $1000 budget a lot quicker than $170 a pop for the 1.3mp 2100 bullets. It just takes better planning to match the proper fixed lens to the 1.3mp bullets than adjusting the zoom on the 2mp bigger bullets. You can save quite a bit of money on a system if you hit alibaba.com or aliexpress.com but you'll probably get a lot better support after the sale from someone in North America. Plus, even if something dies on you and they will replace it, shipping to and from China isn't cheap.

Also, if you have a decent computer to use with the network cams, you can get Blue Iris NVR software for $50, a switch for maybe $70, and add cams and Cat 5E wiring after your $130 outlay for your computer. 1000' of Cat 5E can easily be had for $80 and a crimper for $30 (plus connectors), RJ45 tester for your homemade cables for under $20, and then you can use the leftovers to run internet through your house wherever you want, plus wire up your friends for giggles and beer.

Knowing full well that a built system is far better than an over the counter system, I was curious if any of you could recommend components for a 4 channel outdoor security system. I'm new to the security system, but due to theft I need one (just don't have the time to research to become an 'expert' in the matter). What would you guys suggest, say in the 500-1000 dollar range. Thanks!

Too many variables to consider, such as: How much of an area needs to be covered? Do you want fixed lens (where the field of view is set) or vari-focal (allows you to change the field of view)? What is the lighting like at night? Do you think you need IR cameras? Is there direct sunlight during the day? How high will the cameras be mounted? Will cameras be mounted in an area where they can be prone to vandalism? What type of building material will they be mounted on? Will dome or bullet cameras be better for the enviroment where they will be installed? What's the weather like in your area (how hot/cold does it get)? Plus, many other questions to consider, but that's a good start.

An area that gets very dark & cold may require a different system than a well lit area in the tropics