Mordavia

Invisible IRs

Are there any night vision analog cameras near the $150 range that have invisible IRs?

I am having the everfocus ED730 shipped, but do all IRs glow red at night?

If a camera with a very low lux rating of 0.0002 Lux does not have IRs will it still see at night?

One poster on here commented that his cheap Samsung system came with 940nm IR LEDs. Those are the invisible ones. Searching this site for ""Samsung 940nm" will probably turn up his model number. 850nm glows red. Your low light camera may or may not see IR light. That isn't related to the white light sensitivity of the camera (lux rating). Look for "true day/night", TDN, ICR, or infrared cut filter in the camera specs. Most TDN cams have mechanical IR cut filters, which is what you want. A cheap camera without the mechanical filter that sees IR light works fine at night but is either blinded or has lousy colours in the daytime.

940nm isn't seen as well as 850nm though, so more power is needed to light up a scene. If you want invisible, my setup works fairly decently. $135 CNB VCM-24VF TDN vandal dome without IR with an $80 CMVision 940nm illuminator. It has a light sensor that fires it up when it starts getting dark out. This system is completely invisible under my deck at night. You ordered an indoor dome though and my CMVision would look out of place in any indoor setting except industrial. It looks like a large 500w halogen floodlight enclosure filled with LEDs. This link may work out ok and definitely blends in better during the day than mine indoors. I've never used one though.

If you want invisible and can't find cams with 940nm LEDs look for IR cams that are able to turn off their built-in IR or an IR-free TDN cam with cut filter and use an external illuminator. Both are much more common than inexpensive bullets with 940nm. Cheap and 940 don't go together very well as you'll find out if you throw "940nm illuminator" into Amazon.com's search box.

The specs for your camera say 850nm so you'll see them at night. I also didn't see anything in the manual saying that they could be turned off. I skimmed it though.

As for your last question, a low lux rating for a camera doesn't mean NO lux. Black is black, especially indoors, so a low light cam will need something to see by.

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Would a 15" flat screen computer monitor that is left on at night be enough to illuminate a scene with a camera that has a 0.0002 Lux?

I am now thinking the Speco technologies CVC6245IHR

This is for an interior office about 20' X 30'

Hard to say if you'll be happy with it. That's a low lux rating but many cameras with the same advertized lux rating are quite different when they actually get used in the field. I'd bet that you'd be reasonably happy when someone was facing the monitor within 10 feet or maybe a bit more but that is very subjective. What you're happy with when you first look at it and what the police would be happy with might be two different things. The camera would also have to be pointing in the same direction as the monitor was shining for the best use of the light.

Unless you're buying a high-end camera, super-low lux ratings tend to be the triumph of marketing over technology.

One problem with these super-low lux ratings is usually that they don't spec the exposure time and lens f-stop. I have cams that will show very nice images illuminated by a PC monitor, but they are running very slow frame rates (like 1/5 sec, which also gives 5 fps max) and will show nothing but blur if something's moving.

If you want to capture pics of someone walking by that aren't completely blurred, you'll need 1/30 sec minimum exposure. This is also the minimum speed to get 30 fps, if that matters. To get decent images at these speeds with very low ambient lighting, you're probably looking at a 1/2" sensor with a fast lens. Some 1/3" systems do OK, but still need a fast lens.

I'd find out the full specs on the camera first, otherwise, you're better off with more ambient lighting or IR.

Are there any night vision analog cameras near the $150 range that have invisible IRs?

I am having the everfocus ED730 shipped, but do all IRs glow red at night?

If a camera with a very low lux rating of 0.0002 Lux does not have IRs will it still see at night?

U may try Everfocus Polestar Series.

With high sense and low lux, they still can see at low light even without IR.

They just need very little light (candle light also can do)

As long as not completely dark.