BrettFL

Contol wire for PTZ

I keep reading that you need CAT5 or RS-482 cable to control a PTZ camera however when I went to HD today to pick some up the man working electrical told me that regular 18/2 Thermostat wire would work just fine and that's all he used. Any drawback to this or reason I should only use CAT5?

For relatively short runs, 18/2 should work. In fact, many other cable types can work, including shielded 22/2, CAT3 and even zip cord.

However any cable that either has other than 100 ohm impedance or relatively few twists per foot will likely limit the distance control signals can be reliably transmitted. RS422/485 can travel up to 4,000 feet on proper cable but improper cable will substantially shorten that maximum distance.

Thanks for the reply. I ran the 18/2 (it's solid not twisted ) about 125' however I am not able to do any control of the camera. I have two other PTZ camera in the system that are on cat5 but shorter runs that do work.

It should work for 125'. Do you have the polarity (+ to + and - to -) and all other settings, including address and protocol correct?

I gave up on it today but as far as the +- goes that is right but it's been so long since I messed with it I for got all about the address thing. The camera is a PTZ-LX700L12X and the directions talk about the DIP switches in the camera but I took it apart and was unable to spot any DIP switches. We spent a few hours and found our PTZ-Tool module and hooked up to that but still I was unable to change the address. Will just wait for tech support on Monday I guess.