0cean23

Recommend a POE switch for 5 camera set

Hi,

Which POE switch do you guys recommend? I am looking to power 5 Dahua mini dome IR cameras. I will be using this with the Dahua 16 Channel non POE NVR unit.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I guess I need an 8-channel POE switch. How many watts do I need for each cameras? I am confused as I see some switches offers 15.4w for 4 ports and 7.5w for 8 ports.

If I wish to use 5-6 cameras will the 7.5w be enough power

I will be using Dahua 2mp IR mini dome 1080p cameras and 1.3 IR 720p bullet cameras

Basically all you need to do is add up the total wattage of each camera and find a switch that will supply that much power with as many ports is required.

I don't know the wattage for Dahua but say they are 7 watts per camera. So if you have 6 cameras you will need a switch that can support more then 42 watts on as many ports.

FYI a max power switch will supply 15Watts on all ports on the switch.

Hi,

Which POE switch do you guys recommend? I am looking to power 5 Dahua mini dome IR cameras. I will be using this with the Dahua 16 Channel non POE NVR unit.

I sell and install Dahua IP cameras and am happy to share my actual power consumption measurements for a few models (day / night):

HDB3200 (your 1080p mini dome w/ no IR): 3.2 / 2.9w

HDW2100 (720p eyeball dome with IR): 2.1 / 3.1w

HFW2100 (720p small cyclinder with IR): 2.4 / 4.8w

HDBW3202 (large VPD with IR): 5.0 / 6.1w

Notes:

o These are short runs for testing of < 30'. For long runs there surely will be significant voltage drop, so I did a test and connected one of the cameras up to a 200' cable but saw no power output drop from the switch (it was previously on a 10' cable). So the camera was able to handle a voltage drop okay.

o I used a managed POE switch to take these measurements which made it pretty easy.

Now back to your original question--if you're only planning on having 5 cameras, the most economical solution may be to buy a switch with 4 POE ports and then use an individual POE injector for the 5th camera. The Trendnet TPE-S44 and ZyXEL ES1100-8P are a couple of models to look at for good price / performance. The Zyxel has a higher rated power budget but you probably don't need that.

-d

I have very good success with the LT Security POE Switch, it is 4 POE ports and an uplink port. It is nothing special at all, but the thing works and works and works and they are under $75 typically. The 8 port switch they sell stinks though because it is not smart and the ports are always hot. It works, but if you have non-POE devices I would wire one RJ-45 without the wires on pins 4,5,7 & 8.