Sign in to follow this  
stephanovich

Change of Lens on static camera ?

Hi,

I want to change a lens on one of the static cameras I use...the paricular camera that I need to change the lens on has a lens with a 4 pin wire/lead that plugs in to the relevant slot on the camera...but,the other lens I wish to place on the camera has just 3 wires...can anybody help with this please ?

Im unsure if I need to rewire the new 3 wires into the 4 pin plug somehow or whether to connect this new lens into the rear connections...there seem to only be a + and - connections at the rear of the camera though ?!?!

Hope somebody may be able to offer some advice as to how to sort this out...I want to change the lens as the new lens has a longer range which is needed at present.

Thanks,

If your new lens doesn't have the plug already connected then send it back & buy one from somewhere else. I have wired these plugs on in the past & it is a pain in the rectum. I haven't seen a lens without the plug connected for a long time

Thanks for the reply...I had it in mind it wasn`t going to be easy or anything simple ...on the plus side they`re not expensive so I will be thankful for that !!!

A proper lens is the best solution. Assuming both lenses are DC auto-iris, the 3 vs. 4 wire construction could be just that one company ties the (Control -) wire to the (Drive -) wire together internally but there's also the possibility that one lens is DC Drive (the most common type), while the other lens is Video Drive. DC Drive lenses typically have 4 wires while Video Drive lenses typically have 3 wires. The two types are not interchangeable.

Thanks for the further info.

The actual camera is a samsung and has two options for AI lens on the rear of the camera for "video" or "dc"...I assumed,maybe wrongly,that this meant video drive...I will use another auto iris lens and be done with it but it is of interest to me to see how these things work.