Sign in to follow this  
kentuckynet

How do i know what lens to buy for this camera?

Hello, i have bought 4 of these little cameras from china, they work awesome!

However i would like to change the lens to a 12mm

can someone look at the link where i bought it and tell me what type of lens i would want to buy? If not please tell me what to look for si il know the difference in what to buy.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/110999524972?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

I have an extreme ex27 and some other high dollar cameras and this little camera gives me a much better picture........the jury is still out on how long it will last but for $35 bucks we will see!

Thanks if you can help

any board-camera lens with m12 thread should fit that. find them just about anywhere, including ebay. keep in mind that opening the camera to change the lens *will* void any warranty (assuming they come with one) and may damage the weather seal. also, 12mm will give you a tighter shot and better detail on distant objects, but the ir range will be the same and distant objects may not be illuminated fully.

There's a drop-down where you specify which lens you want.

This doesn't specify IR corrected, which can matter. Sometimes they just don't bother putting the details in (or don't know). If the lens isn't IR corrected, your focal point will shift between IR and white light, so one or the other will be in focus, but not both. If it is IR corrected, both will be in focus.

I'd keep looking for one that specifies IR (or ask them and see what they say), but it may be worth a gamble.

Hello i attached a picture of the actual lens, how do i know if its 1/3 or 1/4 ? Sorry for such a dumb question but there are no numbers on it. It has a little set screw and then just threads on.

Thanks for your help

923057245_Picture012.jpg.aeed1c65470ebd6796753788f583387c.jpg

Your camera has a CCD 1/3" inch in size, so you need a lens for 1/3". Anyway I don't think you will find 1/4" lenses any more, since 1/3" lens work on 1/3" and 1/4" sensors.

Your camera has a CCD 1/3" inch in size, so you need a lens for 1/3". Anyway I don't think you will find 1/4" lenses any more, since 1/3" lens work on 1/3" and 1/4" sensors.

They're definitely available and common. My experience is that ebay and dealextreme lenses that don't specify the size are 1/4", and are usually slightly cheaper than 1/3" lenses. They usually specify if it's larger. I have a small bag of them as recent proof.

It does make a difference, as a 1/3" lens with a 1/4" sensor doesn't give the same field of view as it would with a 1/3" sensor, since some of the light falls outside of the sensor.

That is, if you put a 3mm 1/3" lens on a 1/4" sensor, you'll get a smaller field of view than if you put it on a 1/3" sensor. The quality will often be better, since most lenses have reduced quality at the edges, but you need to calculate the correct size lens if you're not matching it to the sensor size, and that requires knowing your sensor dimensions.