Sign in to follow this  
greenturtle

Where would you place pre-wire a new house?

We are DIY-ing our CCTV system. Our house, built in 2009, was pre-wired for CCTV with six pairings of RG6 and 22/4 cables. Three of the pairings are for our front door and gate, which were already set up with a outlet box for the wiring and covered with a wall plate.

We can't figure out where the other three pairings go. There are no other exterior wall plates.

If you were doing a pre-wire for a new house, where else would you put the wiring? Such as, do you hid the wiring behind recessed lighting cans or behind the smoke detectors? I have already looked behind the ceiling surround sound outlets, that was negative. How else could I find the end point of these wirings.

I know there's six, as they were neatly bundled and labeled "cam & power" at our main brain of cables/wires.

Thanks for any insight.

I would guess that they were NOT for cameras inside the house (unless it was originally pre-wired by a weirdo) So that leaves the outside & garage if any. If I was putting three cameras (othe than the ones you have identified) outside then I would be covering driveway, back yard , narrow concealed areas between house & fence etc. If you have ceiling access have a look around & you will probably find them lying in the eves.

Thanks for the reply.

I think we figured it out. Of the six 22/4 cables, three were paired with one RG6 each for the three exterior front cameras. The other three 22/4 were also coupled with a coax each and run to Interior wall outlets near the intercoms.

It seems so we can put a monitor up at the three intercoms to see and talk to whoever comes knocking.