Sign in to follow this  
nedohare

ends cut of cctv cameras

hi guys im hoping someone can help...im in the uk by the way

firstly i installed 6 cctv cameras about five years ago,i installed them with all premade cables with bnc and power already on the ends.and any ones that had to go a long sistance i just used coax and put my own bnc ends on,i done it ok everything worked fine but the cameras were pretty cheap and to be honest crap.now the cameras are starting to fail the infared is crap and two have stopped altogether..

anyway ill cut to the chase.

my father in law has given me his cameras,as they just werent good enough at night for him,but they are good cameras and will do me fine as they dont have to look very far,the problem is the ends are cut of the cables on the cameras,im lost as to which ends are which,i dont want to make a hash of it and wreck the cameras,ill give you the colours and maybe you can guide me,

here goes

1,small dome camera....there is two sets of red and black

2,a different type small dome...there is a set of red and black and a set of blue and black

3,medium dome varifocal camera....the same,two sets of red and black

4,another different varifocal dome...it has 1 red surrounded by bare wire,and the other cable is also red surounded by wire

5,another standard looking varifocal camera....thers a single white thats looks to b surrounded by bare wire which is in outer sleeve,and a red cable surrounded by bare wire in a sleeve

ive seen pig tails you can buy for power,but what about the video,

should i just chop the ends of the existing cables thats going to the existing cameras and join them,but im worried as to what colouyrs on the new cameras are positive/neg.also how can i connect the new cameras to the standard coax thats running to some of them...

i hope someone can steer me in the right direction,sorry for long post but im desperate for help,

cheers ned....

Google the manufacture and model number of all cameras. Find the install manuals for them. Look for dip switches, buttons for onscreen programmimg. Use a magnifying glass to read the board where the wires attach. You also have to know what voltage the cameras are. Here in the states they would be either 24 volts A/C or 12 volts D/C. If you can, ask your father-in-law for the power supplies he was using.

so you are now half way there! Discover the model numbers and google them and has been advised you should have little bother finding the instruction manuals. If its a speed dome i.e. PTZ, you will need a controller and the DIP switch settings, if it's a static dome there are other issues you will need to deal with

Statics;

Some better domes have built in UTP connection point and therefore may not require a BNC.

You can find out by asking if they had baluns at the DVR end, or by opening the dome and

seeing if there is UTP marked on the board where some of the wires connect.

Also the emergent cable wont have any coax if it uses UTP.

Below is the typical layout from a Pecan dome camera which has a built in UTP point (i.e. built in balun)

you can see the DC power and video inputs to the left and the UTP input to the right.

If you are using coax, then the braid goes into the -ve terminal and the center conductor goes into the +ve terminal, then you'd terminate with a line jack as pictured below

210570_1.jpg210570_2.jpg

BNC line jack