Sign in to follow this  
CCTVGuy2012

Is it OK using an external storage device?

Hi,

I have a digital CCTV system with a PC as the server, which I want to expand it's storage space. this time I decided to use an external usb drive (Seagate backup plus desktop) as the expansion device. but my question is that if this kind of device can do the job. I mean are these devices designed to work 24*7*365? I'm not worried about HDD itself but the additional usb to sata circuit, isn't it going to be damaged after 1 or 2 years?

Thanks

An external storage device is simply a hard drive with a casing on it so you can connect it to a USB port. You can use it as a backup all the time but I would also suggest you consider taking off the enclosure and plugging it directly into your computer. This improves the speed of the hard drive(USB slows it down).

If you were wanting to hid the extra drive away. Consider looking for a longer sata cable and a longer molex plug and then running the wires to a lock box.

Hope that answers your question

thanks but the problem is not speed or hdd itself, my question is about the external hdd circuit (i mean sata to usb3) which should work permanently, i mean are external drives (the circuit) meant to work 24/7/365?

and another question my seagate backup+ desktop drive temperature is always about 44 c. is that normal?

thanks but the problem is not speed or hdd itself, my question is about the external hdd circuit (i mean sata to usb3) which should work permanently, i mean are external drives (the circuit) meant to work 24/7/365?

and another question my seagate backup+ desktop drive temperature is always about 44 c. is that normal?

have done this plenty of times. some systems have been running with an external usb drive for years.