Sign in to follow this  
sequoia

Best way for a scheduled video file upload to a remote site?

I have a cabin that I want to add a few 2-5MP IP cams to. It has a pathetically slow (but mostly reliable) DSL connection. Because of infrequent use I don't want to pay for a more expensive DSL option.

I presume that video playback of megapixel camera files will be poor over the slow DSL connection, so I would like to have my remote cabin location use FTP or some other service to automatically (unattended) upload the most recent video files to my home on a set schedule. Upload speed is not an issue as I could schedule it to take place overnight when there is no other activity. With the files uploaded onto my home network, I could then do a quick review of the files without the slowdowns involved in viewing remotely.

Are there any recommendations on what is the best choice to do this? Some sort of FTP system that includes scheduling capability? Other methods?

I can leave a PC running in the location that would be doing the upload, but I don't want to expose my home network to too many security risks from leaving things open and waiting for a connection.