Moboq

Please assist in designing a system

Hello,

I've recently started getting into cameras/networking and am finding it very interesting. I'm glad to be part of this community.

I've been asked by a close friend to design a system for her business. She has an established system which is okay, but the quality is by no means excellent; she would like HD cameras.

She needs roughly 16 cameras. I haven't investigated what cameras to obtain yet, I would like to initially do a plan regarding what other equipment is needed plus the pricing.

I initially was going to get a Synology DNS, but was told for that amount of cameras it's best to use a PC.

So this is what I have come up with.

-Gigabit PoE switch, with at least 18 ports (one cat5 cable goes from the camera right into the switch)

-PC (quadcore, SSD for OS and software, heaps of enterprise HDDs for the video footage)

-Milestone XProtect Express as the video software

How I think it works:

Cameras go into switch, computer goes into switch, you do some initial setting up with Milestone and you've got a working system; simple as that!

My questions are:

-Am I on the right track?

-For 16 cameras essentially operating 24/7 how much storage do you think she'll need for around 1 month's footage?

-She has monitors around the premises showing some cameras, how can I go about that with this system? With the DVR that's currently being used there are ports that push a particular signal out to these monitors through AV cords.

-Is Silverstone reputable? Any other software recommended?

Thank you all for your assistance. This is my first ever system, I hope it turns out okay.

My questions are:

-Am I on the right track?

Kinda

-For 16 cameras essentially operating 24/7 how much storage do you think she'll need for around 1 month's footage?

That really depends on soooo many factors ----- how many frames per second, I frames P frames configuration, compression, motion detection or constant recording, resolution, compression type, brand.... cant answer that without more info

-She has monitors around the premises showing some cameras, how can I go about that with this system? With the DVR that's currently being used there are ports that push a particular signal out to these monitors through AV cords.

That depends, you could either leave the current system in play, or you could replace each screen with a PC Monitor (must also be a PC) - or if only one camera needs to be on each screen you could use what is known as a "Decoder" - IP cameras are digital, they create digital data - you need to decode this back to an analogue signal.

-Is Silverstone reputable?

No Idea - never used it - I though silverstone did PC cases

Any other software recommended?

Thank you all for your assistance. This is my first ever system, I hope it turns out okay.