McJannet

CCTV and PowerLine Broadband

Gi'day CCTVer's:

I'm setting up my office demo iLevo PowerLine Broadband system, and am using ACTi IP cameras and software. It's working pretty well, getting plenty of bandwidth even though there is a fair bit of noise in the lower end of the frequency spread.

I'm starting to look for projects and am finding a fair bit of interest, but I'm wondering if any one out there has any experience with this sort of system that they might want to share.

Our intention is to use this for perimeter surveillance, large building CCTV and campus style CCTV where new installs typically entail expensive trenching.

So if anyone has some pointers on issues like electrical install, attenutation minimization or system design I'd be really happy to hear from you (instead of learning from my mistakes, which seems to be my major learning mode sometimes).

Regards:

Dave McJannet

Sydney Australia

I've seen this gear being advertised around and have thought about it usefulness. I haven't really explored the technology but I did some video carrier transmission work on HV DC for trains a few years ago and we had the problem of when the signal encounters an isolation or step-down transformer it doesn't pass through properly. Is this the same for this technology ?

At least in the United States there will be some problems with Broadband over powerlines. The current generation of BoP generates a ton of RF interferance. Enough is generated to make Ham Radio unusable. Given the role that Ham radio operators play in emergency services the FCC is going to have to determine which is more important.

To get around transformers we use a pair of ferrite loops, one on each side of the transformer and connect them with a small cable passed once or twice through each loop.

In Australia the ACMA is looking at the interference issues, we will comply with their regulations. I think the greatest issue here is with overhead transmission lines in a last-mile application that may also be hung parallel to telco (PSTN, ADSL) lines. For CCTV / Security we are concentrating on in-building and underground cabled systems. Which may still cause interference with ADSL according to some of the submitted opinions. Apart from Amateur Radio and ADSL, there is potential for interference with off-shore shipping and aviation communications, radio telescopes and with some medical devices.

System design and documentation will be important with this equipment, which may impose a barrier favoring engineering companies and consultants over small installation companies. Our aim is to provide a certain amount of consultancy in addition to product sales.

Frequency ranges may be 'notched out' of the BoP system which reduces throughput but avoids radiated interference. Ferrites may be used to attenuate to the point of practical elimination signal escaping into the grid from a building.

Thanks for your feedback.

Regards:

Dave

Hi friend

this is an interesting new technology to , would you be kind and send me any decumnetation regarding the transmission of cctv siganls over HV electrical power lines

Well I can say with certainty that the market in Australia is well behind that in North America and in Europe.

But we are seeing Corinex, Schneider and Mitsubishi in the local market - but not a lot of action due to (I think mainly regulatory uncertainty and a feeling that the technology is not yet mature here).

There is a fair bit of documentation at the manufacturer websites, which will also point you to the industry association and the chip manufacturer.

www.ilevo.com

www.corinex.com

Regards:

Dave