Sign in to follow this  
paupar

Mobitix D12 POE Injector?

I never had any problems using generic injectors or PoE switches with Mobotix cameras, actually not so the other way around where I tried using a Mobotix PoE with another camera and flat out would not work.

Injector is good if you just have one camera. Consider a switch with 4 PoE ports, will be cheaper if you have 2 or more cameras and you are not stuffing all that traffic on your router. I use the Zyxel and Trendnet switches, fairly cheap at about $65 for the 8 port model (4 PoE). The Zyxel is better because it's full power on all ports and runs off 110V (no adapter brick).

The item you have in your link is a passive injector. That is, you connect a power supply to one end, and you get the same thing out from the other end - 12Vdc, 24Vac, whatever. This is handy for non-POE cameras, but will not provide you the 48Vdc that IEEE 802.3af POE uses, unless you connect a 48Vdc supply to the source end.

If your D12 runs on a separate PS, this will work by giving you that output at the end of the cable. If you want 802.3af compatible POE, this isn't it.

This item - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=33-997-219 - is a true POE injector, for powering 802.3af compliant devices when you don't have a POE switch. This converts your normal network connection into a POE connection.

If you're going to ever get more POE devices, you're better off with an inexpensive POE switch, as buellwinkle suggests, since 2 of these will cost nearly as much as a Zyxel POE switch.