BBFR

Black and white or color?

1/Do you agree that the X View chip sucks?

No. I will happily and confidently argue until blue in the face that is is the current market leading CCD. Performance not volume.

2/ Do you agree that many manufactorers use these chips so they can boast about low light ability, even though the sensor is usually too sensitive to operate well in very well lit areas.. Lets be honest there are more to cameras than just the chips, you need to be able to control?

Disagree again. We have agreed further up this post that any monochrome (hi-end or low-end) is more sensitive than a colour exview. If as you say an exview can't cope with bright daylight how the hell do all those cheap monochromes do it? I say monochromes cope quite well with low end lenses, DSP chips or even analogue chipsets. In which case a colour exview will find it even easier to cope with the same lens and chipset.

3/Do you agree that there are several grades of the afore mentioned chips and that not all of them perform as well?

Nope. There are are no grades of HyperHAD, SuperHAD or ExviewHAD. I can give you the manufacturers part codes to confirm. There is an urban myth that some manufacturers have lower grade chips. Never come across it.

4/ What company do you work for or are you form a manufactorer?

I am from a manuafacturer but as I am not named I have no reason to promote anything here apart from understanding.

(My Bets for the forum is BOSCH or Pana or Dedicated Micros)

Sorry if you put any money on it. My English is too good (I hope) for two of those and DM do not make cameras.

My experience, ... tried many ex and had and ex had, ... none are very good under strong daylight, even with the best of lenses!

If this is true then you are doing something wrong or the cameras are exceptionally poor. Honestly the SuperHAD CCD is predominant in the market. It works well - no hard sell I make cameras with Sony, Sharp and the new CMOS on the market. They all beat each other in areas. The best for general CCTV is the SuperHAD easily. Same is true for Exview but it costs more so you would only use it is low light was a requirement. If you do not need the low light don't waste your money.

I.T is incorrect or a typo it is I.L.T for interline transfer. Nearly all CCD are ILT only exception I can think of are Panasonic FIT cameras.

Well, hmm, if you make CMOS cameras then that should narrow it down, I dont think Kalatel has any Cmos cameras (could be wrong), and since you use such a wide range of camera technologies, maybe Sanyo USA? How about Provideo? Or is it a smaller manufacturer? Maybe you can slip in the dealer section and let us know, just for grins and giggles

No seriously, I guess we are just curious ..

Question, to anyone actually, ever see color parts coming through on a B/W camera!! I have a couple of them doing this. the color keys of a cash register, showing up as a form of color, on the B/W micro camera!! Sunlight coming through as yellow in the corner of another, all being Provideo cameras. I dont get it :-0

Well it looks like Pat shut Rory down but what about my camera selection. I need you 3 or so experts to give me your opinion on the Pelco MC 3600H-2 for around 240.00 with a varifocal lens. These are in a house with low lighting and I will compromise the color to get a decent monochrome camera. The Pelco is asthetically pleasing for a C/CS camera and has a 5 year warranty.ftp://www.pelco.com/ProductSpecs/21982.PDF is this a decent camera or what would be a viable solution.

noone shut me down

but yes, Pelco is a good camera, that will work great, make sure its a good lens also.

Rory

I also hope I didn't shut anyone down. End of the day I only have an opinion. The Pelco you are looking will give you as goos a low light picture as you will get without going to 1/2" or using frame integration (which I personally do not like).

On the point about a monchrome camera producing colour. A colour monitor requires a colour burst to be present. If you get noise in the video at the same point the colour burst would be then this can fool the monitor to thinking that there is colour. There are two ways of making a colour camera go monochrome in day/night cameras. One is chroma suppression where the camera doesn't send any colour. The other is to remove the colour burst. This is the true way however certain multiplexers go haywire if the colour burst is switched off after power up, they see it as video loss. So safest way is chroma suppression. This can result in fake colours occuring.

Good spot on the CMOS narrowing the field. Kalatel do not have the technology but GE do and they own Kalatel... Too pale for California though.

I agree with most of your statements PAT....

I am not disagreeing with the comments that 'Ex View chips suck!!!!
'

And then??

No. I will happily and confidently argue until blue in the face that is is the current market leading CCD. Performance not
volume.

Make up your mind?

Pat I do not know much about cameras at all.. I never proffesed to do so?

However i have sold... Thousands and Thousands of cameras... Yes BLOODY sony Branded and Cheapies, and I CAN TELL you I am not doing anything wrong.....technical sources aside, the ex view chip is very sensitive as I mentioned but it is also very sensitive in the day.. I am not saying it does not work well I am saying that they are more sensitive so they look too bright during the day, especially in dome cameras without auto iris!

This is true, I should know this much!!

Secondly both Ganz and SONY themsleves in their latest camera PDF's have listed the following in their specs...1/3" I.T. Sensor.. why would the maker of the chip make such a mistake? I admit it standls for waht ytou said, but if Sony themsleves call it that why can't I?

You know much more than me I do not pretend to know more but these seems weird... please explain it.. if you would like the link to the Sony website and the PDF of the camera that labbeled itself I.T. sensor.. I would be happy to provide it.. and if the Ex view is so high end why can you buy exview dome camaeras for 75$ US????? and yet the others are more expensive.

You are probably right and me wrong.. but I can tell you this much.. the way they filled the gaps on has made the camera too much more sensitive and out of the ones I have sold...Many types... they do not handle bright lighting.. oh yeh.. there are no dips to adjust and its a SONY camera... so go figure?

DVR, maybe its just me an you, in the sunny regions ofthe world, having issues with exview during the day? I know we have too much sun here, I think you are in the tropical area of australia?

Maybe in areas up north where the sun does not shine as mucg or as strong, maybe they are better there? Where they were made..

Just wondering.

Rory

Ok. Sorry about the IT / ILT part I am used to ILT if Sony are using IT I would tell them they were wrong (but they might disagree as well).

The extra sensitivity causing problems still does not stack if you are saying that an Exview cannot cope in direct sunlight when a monochrome can.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No. I will happily and confidently argue until blue in the face that is is the current market leading CCD. Performance not

volume.

Make up your mind?

I have made up my mind. Exview is the leading performing low light and highlight CCD. It is not the leading in sales volume as it is predominantly only available in expensive feature rich cameras. The highest volume CCD is the SuperHad. If exview was available in a SuperHAD camera at a SuperHAD price I would buy the Exview unless that price change had resulted in the SuperHAD being available at a lower price, then I would buy the SuperHad (unless I needed the extra low light performance). It is price v performance v fit for purpose.

Of the pictures posted have you posted them to indicate a shortfall of Exview? If so what is the issue(s)? I see some areas saturating and a slight pink hue in areas. Let me know before I shoot of a reply.

It is grim up north.

no, actually good video.

They are pink florsecent lights.

Just posting them for grin and giggles