Sunfox

Q-see QCN8002B / Dahua IPC-HFW3200CN Auto Delete Old files?

For my first time security camera setup, I've been playing around with a Q-see QCN8002B 1080p IP cam, otherwise known as the Dahua IPC-HFW3200CN, and I have a question about the "auto delete old files" setting. Basically: does it actually work?

For now I'm using the camera without a NVR. I have it FTP'ing motion recordings to a ReadyNAS server, which is working fine. I can browse the server and play the DAV files manually, or I can load up PSS and get a list of them or see them plotted on a timeline.

But I was assuming that the auto-delete setting would cause the camera to "clean up" files after the specified number of days. The Q-see firmware only allows for a "Customized" setting with the number of days. I have this set to "3" just for testing, meaning I would expect directories older than 3 days old to be erased, but currently I have recordings sitting there from the 22nd to the 28th - basically it's never deleted anything.

Currently it's setup to use an anonymous FTP login, which is allowed to delete files (I logged in manually and tested). Anyone have any experience here?

I do not own a HFW3200CN but I would guess the "auto delete old files" setting is referring to the internal SD card and not FTP. I think the ftp only pushes the file and does not manage the file system. Just a guess and I could be wrong.

Like most things... it doesn't actually say. But reading up here and elsewhere, it SEEMS like it's supposed to work on FTP as well.

Like most things... it doesn't actually say. But reading up here and elsewhere, it SEEMS like it's supposed to work on FTP as well.

It can't and won't work on FTP, due to limitations of the FTP protocol. First, there's no provision in the FTP protocol for querying the amount of free-space on a FTP server. Secondly, it's not a device controlled by DAHUA, so, as a safety measure, DAHUA will not tinker with it; DAHUA doesn't agree to delete files in an uncontrolled system

As a side note, FTP should be used as a backup, not as a main storage point.

You could setup a cron job on your readynas to purge old recordings each day. That would be a much better solution than letting a remote client modify your file system.

It can't and won't work on FTP, due to limitations of the FTP protocol. First, there's no provision in the FTP protocol for querying the amount of free-space on a FTP server. Secondly, it's not a device controlled by DAHUA, so, as a safety measure, DAHUA will not tinker with it; DAHUA doesn't agree to delete files in an uncontrolled system

As a side note, FTP should be used as a backup, not as a main storage point.

Well, I can see why the option to delete older files when you run out of space won't work (which is a separate setting), but this is supposed to delete files after X number of days. The FTP client can delete files, it can see file dates (and besides, the camera stores everything in dated directories one per day), so everything needed would be there for a once-a-day job run right from the camera. Not saying it's the right idea, but just that I don't see a technical limitation.

I'm just in the testing stage while I work out budget and how many cameras I need, and unfortunantly without buying a full-fledged NVR or NVR software for the ReadyNAS (the one option for that doesn't seem overly well-supported), my only two recording options are an internal SD card or FTP. So, for now, FTP it is.

Maybe the next step would be to add SMB or NFS support to cameras for better integration with NAS systems.

Anyone have any suggestions on an automated way to do this on the ReadyNAS? I'm not actually sure what scripting options are possible on it, or maybe if there's even a plugin already available or something.

I'm just in the testing stage while I work out budget and how many cameras I need, and unfortunantly without buying a full-fledged NVR or NVR software for the ReadyNAS (the one option for that doesn't seem overly well-supported), my only two recording options are an internal SD card or FTP. So, for now, FTP it is.

Please understand that FTP/SMB/any storage protocol is usefull only in a backup situation, due to control&security reasons.

Why? Well, simple facts:

1. a NVR will not allow you to delete any file you want (either format the whole HDD or do nothing)

2. a NAS has a "public" filesystem, while the DAHUA has a proprietary filesystem - harder to alter the recordings

3. a NVR will keep a connection up with the camera, manage it, log it, alert on problems - a NAS will only store, when the camera makes a request

DAHUA's economy products are professional products made available to mainstream. What you think of a limitation it's actually a security feature.

Okay... for now (until I get a proper NVR) I've set up a once-daily cron job on the ReadyNAS that automatically removes old files and directories after X number of days. In testing, it appears to work exactly like I was hoping. For future reference, I'm using:

find /c/share/camera_name/* -depth -mtime +21 -exec rm -rf {} \;

(With "21" changed to however many days desired.)

Okay... for now (until I get a proper NVR) I've set up a once-daily cron job on the ReadyNAS that automatically removes old files and directories after X number of days. In testing, it appears to work exactly like I was hoping. For future reference, I'm using:

find /c/share/camera_name/* -depth -mtime +21 -exec rm -rf {} \;

(With "21" changed to however many days desired.)

Good work!