gilligan

Looking for some advice, ground up.

I've got a computer repair and screen printing shop (semi-sharing the same space).

I'm attaching a layout with some rough dimensions.

I'm mainly concerned about the two front areas (with the entrance doors) and would like to have a camera on my computer tech in the back (this is also where our 3 year old hangs out) and eventually would like to have some eyes on the screen printing and embroidery production side just to see how projects are going.

Outside (see attached) wouldn't be too bad, the neighbor to the west has some cameras outside now. I wouldn't mind having one on my connex box (freight container) as it has already been broken into.

I'm mostly concerned about inside the shop itself. The drawing is crude and roughly to scale. That is bay window type areas that you can see crudely drawn in. This and the two entrance doors are the ONLY entrances into my shop (no back doors).

Looking to get a 8 channel unit, not needing to fill it up but for future expansion. I have a cheap analog and a cheap IP camera right now that COULD be used depending on the system or I don't have to use them... not stuck on using them.

Also not stuck on using IP vs Analog either. I guess, best bang for buck is what I'm looking for.

What would you guys advise? I know I haven't mentioned budget but I don't really have a HARD budget. Cheaper the better as no one really WANTS to spend money, but I do want something good and usable.

Obviously I have a good amount of computer experience and I'm not opposed to a PC based system if everyone thinks that's the way to go. I'm also fairly well versed with Linux and certainly not afraid of some command line (that's all my linux boxes run, no GUI's on any of my linux systems.)

Ok... tear it up!

Shop_Layout_dims-02.JPG.47c93e9f132030c87a8b170110c8f052.JPG

ShopFromAboveMarkedUp.thumb.JPG.b6ab44bc41c7d2c06f664568e5aa1632.JPG

I went with an 8 channel Dahua NVR.

The thing that I question about this system and I sent them an email, is how many FPS at what resolution does it record?

They never exactly state that... closes they say is NTSC 30FPS. That could be at 480 since it says NTSC. Or maybe it's like some of the other cheap 1080P NVRs 30FPS at ONE channel. Doesn't do much good when you have 8 channels to divide that with.

I did an install job a few months back on a location that resembles yours in layout but was larger in size.

The options I suggested to them were as follows.

• A few GV-FE520 and a Q-See NVR. The cameras provide a 180 degree (v) by 360 degree (h) FOV at 5MP but they are $590 each; worth every cent.

A nice camera bundle with 8-600TVL CMOS cameras (NV+IP69) and a great DVR with 30FPS D1 per channel. $690 QT5680-852-5

A discount bundle, 12 of the 1.3MP bullet cameras (6mm lens, NV, DSP, aptina) and a 16 channel POE-NVR. $3000 QC8016-1261-2

The Q-See NVRs have POE built in. I can get the 4, 8 and 16 port versions for $480, $580 and $680 respectively. They all have dual HDD bays and come with 1TB pre-installed. QC804-1, QC808-1, and QC8016-1 respectively

The customer I suggested that to went with the discount bundle. He sold 4 of the cameras and got $1200 back... Since the system was installed he has been broken into 4 times (that I know of). In all events they were convicted and assets recovered. It was installed last year.

EDIT: Model numbers added.

I did an install job a few months back on a location that resembles yours in layout but was larger in size.

The options I suggested to them were as follows.

• A few GV-FE520 and a Q-See NVR. The cameras provide a 180 degree (v) by 360 degree (h) FOV at 5MP but they are $590 each; worth every cent.

A nice camera bundle with 8-600TVL CMOS cameras (NV+IP69) and a great DVR with 30FPS D1 per channel. $690 QT5680-852-5

A discount bundle, 12 of the 1.3MP bullet cameras (6mm lens, NV, DSP, aptina) and a 16 channel POE-NVR. $3000 QC8016-1261-2

The Q-See NVRs have POE built in. I can get the 4, 8 and 16 port versions for $480, $580 and $680 respectively. They all have dual HDD bays and come with 1TB pre-installed. QC804-1, QC808-1, and QC8016-1 respectively

The customer I suggested that to went with the discount bundle. He sold 4 of the cameras and got $1200 back... Since the system was installed he has been broken into 4 times (that I know of). In all events they were convicted and assets recovered. It was installed last year.

EDIT: Model numbers added.

Well, that was basically my decision as well. Thanks for reinforcing my purchase, much better than dreading it. LOL

Heck, if you don't already have level2 access with Q-See I wouldn't mind hooking you up at cost. (it isn't like it costs me anything anyway).