gilligan

3mp cameras cropped in the Dahua NVR?

I was told by a distributor that if I try to use a 3mp camera in the NVR it would crop the image down to the 1080p size vs just reducing the resolution.

I was hoping you could just put the 3mp camera in 2mp mode like you can with a regular point and shoot digital camera. Obviously I am ignorant here and I'm just wondering if this information is correct or if someone has messed with a 3mp (specifically Dahua would be nice) in a 1080p mode and still got the same image. Basically I don't want a cropped (zoomed) in image as the lens is perfect for the application, we just need a 2mp version of what would be seen there.

Thanks in advance guys!

Kevin

I can't say 100% since I don't have a Dahua NVR, but they do crop the top and bottom of the image when you use them with a PC set to 2MP. The 3MP Dahua bullet cams I have turn the 4:3 (2048x1536) image into 16:9 (1920x1080) if you set them to 2MP. They don't offer a 1600x1200 2MP mode. So, I would think the distributor was correct.

So technically they do become a standard 16:9 1080p 2mp camera. If the same lens was on a 2mp sensor in other words.

That would work, I didn't realize it went 4:3 for 3mp.

So technically they do become a standard 16:9 1080p 2mp camera. If the same lens was on a 2mp sensor in other words.

Maybe. I'm not sure if the physical size of the cropped portion of the 3MP 4:3 sensor is the same as a 2MP 16:9 sensor. As you probably know, sensor size does impact lens performance.

From our experience, you have to drop the resolution to 2MP for the NVR to display the picture. This camera performs brilliantly at 3MP in a normal web browser for through PSS, but looks bad at night when set to 2MP. We have a test install with a 1.3MP camera and a 3MP camera and the 1.3MP camera outperforms this camera by far at night. If you are looking at a PC based NVR or are viewing the camera remotely, go for it, but I would not recommend installing it onto the standard 4 channel NVR.

David Lucas

Icon Era

http://www.iconera.co.za/