wyattwic

Linux PC NVR/DVR

Hello everyone!

I have always been a major supporter for using Linux but I need recommendations on good DVR/NVR software.

The reason why I say DVR/NVR is that the unit in question is a hybrid. The system currently records 16 analog cameras and 12 IP cameras at the highest quality while still having room for expansion.

Internally it has 8 WD Green 2TB HDDs and 2 500GB SSDs, 8 gigabit ethernet ports, redundant PSUs. The system has two NAS units that add an additional 4 of the 2TB WD Greens. The NASes have dedicated gigabit lines connecting them to MC.

For those who wonder why we have something like this... We call it MC for Master Control. It records all active demo cameras and displays them as well as recording the building security cameras. Its also a concept for a much larger hybrid system I was working on.

I would like to move to Linux as this is the only Windows based unit that is in the building.

I was looking for a free and open source software however this does seem to be an okay solution.

Would anyone be able to suggest anything that that is in that area?

I havent used zone minder in years.

I was under the impression that there was a bit of a debate between Zone Minder, iSpyConnect and Motion.

ZM and iSpy appear to be the same in design goals.

Motion is a daemon with no GUI.

I guess its time to put on my hard hat and experiment. Ill probably post a review on them all soon.

Wyattwic,

What have you found; did you review options here?

I'm also looking into non-MS OS NVR options; planning a new server build for this winter.

Larry