Sign in to follow this  
chucky

Need Assistance with Costco Q-see 4 Channel NVR Expansion

I purchased the Q-See (Costco) 4 channel 4 camera NVR system for $699.00 but the 4 camera limitation I need to resolve. I would like to have expansion of up to 16 cameras. What would be the best solution allowing me to reuse the 4 Q-See 720p cameras and the 1TB hard drive dumping the 4 channel NVR? I also have a 24 port Dlink POE switch available for this project.

PC based solution? NVR with up to 16 channel capacity?

Thanks You in advance for your feedback.

Chucky

Get a 16 port Dahua NVR, will be the cheapest way to go. You can try NVR+ software, they have a 8 and 16 port version. But then you need a PC. Some people have tried BlueIris but personally have not had much luck with certain Dahua cameras although the ones you have will work.

My plan is to reuse the 4 cameras that comes with the package, then add more cameras to a DIY Synology surveillance station. There is virtually no limit on the number of cameras.

It would be $600 to get the 4 720p cameras ($299/pair), and 40-50 for the 1TB HDD. So it's like $50-60 for the NVR... why not. You can switch to PC based system by rolling your own "synology diskstation"

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1460222/how-to-roll-your-own-synology-diskstation-for-nas

EDIT: looks like Synology wants $50 license per camera... NVM.