Sign in to follow this  
andresdamas

POE EXTENDERS HELP

I have a project where 3 cameras are going to be installed around 1000 feet away, i did a research and i found this product:

http://www.ethernetextender.com/ethernet-extension-products/ethernet-extension-kits/868Pro.php

It is a POE runing just one cable and having 2 POE at the end and by request they can make all POE max 6 Watt per port, so the problem that I have is my IP cameras 2 MP are 12vdc and 1.5A (18Watt), so the guy at the company told me that most cameras 2MP with 30 LED dont need 12 vol either 1.5 A, and he said most of the cameras under that configuration work fine with 6 Watt, well I dont know what to believe, the cameras that I am using are 802.3af POE

here are the cameras spec.

http://www.ltsecurityinc.com/en_us/product/1013.html

Also I tried at home with a cameras with the same specification and a power supply 500mA and 12 Volt and it work fine..... so I am confusing about meeting the minimum requirement... any advise? any experience you guys can provide?

Thank you for your time

The 802.3af POE spec is 15W, so you definitely don't need 18W. None of my newer IP cams use more than 8W, even with IR on, but you can't know for sure until you measure it, and it may still be too much for your 6W POE splitter.

Best bet is to see if the vendor can tell you what the camera actually uses with the IR LEDs on. Many managed POE switches will tell you the power draw on each port, but unmanaged don't.

There are other ways to tell, like inserting a resistor inline or measuring switch power with a wattmeter, but these get more complicated.