Sign in to follow this  
bigdaz10

cctv lens chice

hi everybody im new on here dont no if this is the right plase to post this oh well ill give it a go .iv got a Kguard camera on my houce but its zoomd in to close to wot i need to see i cant move the camera back aney more can i just change the lens .this is wat the box says ..1/4"ccd,420TVL,lens.3.6mm if aney body can help me or give me a web sight to get a new lens from that would be grate ...thanks in advance

There are some important things to know about what lens to order:

- Is it CS mount or M12? CS mounts are about 1" across at the threads, and M12 are 12mm, or about 1/2" across.

- Is it auto-iris? If it is, there will be a wire going from the lens to the camera, and you'll want another auto-iris lens to replace it with. If not, you need manual iris.

- Does the camera use infrared? if it does, you'll want an IR compatible lens, as IR and white light focus at different places without this, and one or the other will be blurry.

- You'll want to get a lens rated for a 1/4" sensor. One for a 1/3" sensor will work, but will give a smaller view than the same size lens in 1/4", which won't help your problem.

You'll also want to decide if you want a fixed focal lens or a zoom lens, like you have now. Whatever you get, you'll need a smaller rating than 3.6mm, like 2.8mm, and a zoom would give more adjustment room.

I used to buy from these guys back when I ran analog cams, but I don't know how they are any more. Maybe others can provide recommendations.

http://www.apexcctv.com/c-58-lenses.aspx