Can Dahua HFW2100 be powered by passive POE injector? I bought one from TP-Link (it's really simple, just the DC IN, POE and LAN) and the camera doesn't turn on. I'm usuing a CAT5E cable (20 meters). I'm using a standard 12V power supply too (5A).

Can this camera be powered this way or I have to use a POE switch? Thanks.

Can Dahua HFW2100 be powered by passive POE injector? I bought one from TP-Link (it's really simple, just the DC IN, POE and LAN) and the camera doesn't turn on. I'm usuing a CAT5E cable (20 meters). I'm using a standard 12V power supply too (5A).

Can this camera be powered this way or I have to use a POE switch? Thanks.

You need a true PoE, not a "toy" PoE... Better get a switch or power the camera via 12V DC.

You need a true PoE, not a "toy" PoE... Better get a switch or power the camera via 12V DC.

But there's someone here saying he can power up this camera with a "toy" PoE... Here it's the citation:

http://www.networkcameracritic.com/?p=882

"I have the Q-See QCN7001B incarnation of this camera. Two things:

1) I’m powering this camera through a TRENDnet Gigabit PoE Injector (TPE-113GI). Works perfectly, so whomever is claiming at Empire Security Cameras that injectors don’t work may have ulterior motives".

Edited by Guest

Do you have the original AC adapter that came with it? It probably should be a 48vdc rather than 12vdc.

It didn't came with any power adapter. Just the camera itself. Maybe a "OEM" version?

As far as I know, we should only use 48V with active POE, not passive POE right?

Yes, you can run it with passive POE, just like any camera with a separate power input, but the TP-Link adatpers are generally hybrid, not true passive. What's the model number of the TP-Link?

A passive POE injector just takes the DC you put into it and sends it out the other end. The Dahua runs on 12Vdc at the power input, so that's what you'd use with passive POE, and it should work, no problem.

The TP-Link should have come with a 48Vdc PS. The TL-POE150S is 802.3af compatible, while the TL-POE200A/B pair are not and need to be used as a pair.

Yes, you can run it with passive POE, just like any camera with a separate power input, but the TP-Link adatpers are generally hybrid, not true passive. What's the model number of the TP-Link?

A passive POE injector just takes the DC you put into it and sends it out the other end. The Dahua runs on 12Vdc at the power input, so that's what you'd use with passive POE, and it should work, no problem.

The TP-Link should have come with a 48Vdc PS. The TL-POE150S is 802.3af compatible, while the TL-POE200A/B pair are not and need to be used as a pair.

Hi Max. There's no model number. I bought it for a very cheap price ($5). It's like this:

http://produto.mercadolivre.com.br/MLB-471454125-adaptador-injetor-poe-tp-link-_JM

I think I'll put a POE switch... because I also have a problem with the router (TP Link WDR4300) not talking with the camera... Those chinese devices are full of problems.

Do you have the original AC adapter that came with it? It probably should be a 48vdc rather than 12vdc.

It didn't came with any power adapter. Just the camera itself. Maybe a "OEM" version?

As far as I know, we should only use 48V with active POE, not passive POE right?

I just know I had a TPlink a while back that had a 48vdc adapter and was even labeled as such by the DC jack. It may be that if you use a 12vdc the device doesnt turn on and therefore send out power to your device. Mine had an LED that if I remember it would be one color with just the DC adapter plugged in and then switch to another color when you connected a camera load on it.

Unless they are not following spec of POE you should be able to use 48vdc and the device will regulate it to whatever voltage(s) it needs internally.

I just know I had a TPlink a while back that had a 48vdc adapter and was even labeled as such by the DC jack. It may be that if you use a 12vdc the device doesnt turn on and therefore send out power to your device. Mine had an LED that if I remember it would be one color with just the DC adapter plugged in and then switch to another color when you connected a camera load on it.

Unless they are not following spec of POE you should be able to use 48vdc and the device will regulate it to whatever voltage(s) it needs internally.

Ok, thanks for the explanation!

Hi Max. There's no model number. I bought it for a very cheap price ($5). It's like this:

http://produto.mercadolivre.com.br/MLB-471454125-adaptador-injetor-poe-tp-link-_JM

I think I'll put a POE switch... because I also have a problem with the router (TP Link WDR4300) not talking with the camera... Those chinese devices are full of problems.

OK, that's an odd one. It looks like it was bundled with their TL-WA901ND access point, and is a passive injector.

The Wireless-N Access Point comes with a power injector that uses Passive Power over Ethernet technology. The injector can supply both electricity and data streams over a single RJ45 cable to the access point, up to approximately 98 feet away.

It's not clear what voltage it takes, but it appears it provides the voltage directly to the ethernet port, so it's a passive POE injector with no separate output at the other end, which is an unusual configuration. It may have a non-standard pinout, as well, so there's a risk to the equipment at the other end if you go too high in voltage.

I'd go for either a POE switch or one of TP-Link's TL-POE150S injectors. If you're going to do more than one POE camera, you should go for an inexpensive switch; otherwise, the TL-POE150S is a good bet for a single cam.