Cougar281

Speco intensifier cameras

I've been reading around after looking at the Speco intensifier cameras. I'm a bit unsure of them due to the negatives I've been reading, but most of what I've read is old - up to 5 years old. People have commented on the intensifier having major blur, movement being a 'ghost image', useless, etc, but watching

video comparing the Intensifier to an IR camera, the intensifier doesn't SEEM as bad as people have posted about. Have they just improved that much? I don't want to spend the $200 or so per camera and have them suck.

Basically, I want to get decent (ideally 1/3" CCD or better and vari-zoom/focal - 2.8-12 or so) but not stupid expensive (>$250) cameras. At the moment I have two cheapo cameras purchased from USASecurityStore and Microcenter and two GE TVC-BIR-HR cameras on loan from a friend. They all have the same 1/3" Sony CCD, but the quality out of the GE's is amazing compared to the other two. The two main problems with the GE's is they're huge (I want to stick with dome cameras) and they suck power big time when the IR LEDs are on. I'm surprised they haven't tripped the circuit breakers I my power supply. POE IP Cameras would be ideal, but they're stupid spendy. I'm also real fussy about what IR cameras I get - nothing that doesn't have separate cavities for the camera and LEDs because if they're both under the same dome, the night vision will suck from the IR bounceback

The two main problems with the GE's is they're huge (I want to stick with dome cameras) and they suck power big time when the IR LEDs are on. I'm surprised they haven't tripped the circuit breakers I my power supply. POE IP Cameras would be ideal, but they're stupid spendy. I'm also real fussy about what IR cameras I get - nothing that doesn't have separate cavities for the camera and LEDs because if they're both under the same dome, the night vision will suck from the IR bounceback

Well your cameras won't ever trip a breaker unless you have the worst designed electrical system of all time. Cameras are low voltage. They are drawing much less power than your PC or TV. A bread toaster draws over 10 amps making your breakfast. I haven't seen a non-PTZ that draws more than 1 amp with IRs on. Don't worry about power consumption; you aren't drawing nearly as much as you think.

To answer your question about Intensifier, I've seen that video and can say I've never had one perform that well. If your want a camera with IR, avoid the Speco mini turrets. They are great aesthetically and do a pretty good job during day. At night they do a very good job with a minimal amount of lighting. But if you're using them in the dark, they just don't do the job. The models with IRs suck. The illumination is very cloudy and almost useless.