Securame

Alarm inputs trigered by noise/audio

Does anyone know if there are any alarm input sensors that are triggered by audio/sound?

I relly never thought about this before but a big customer brought it up today. They had a break in through a wall that even had motion sensors installed; the motion sensors did not trigger an alert. They were even able to go past the PIR sensors (no idea how; but it seems they even got on camera how they did it). An audio sensor would have saved them from the break in, so now they are trying to improve their system with this.

I don't even know if something like this exists; a sensor that when the audio goes over a given number of decibels will just close the relay.

Thanks!

I've used this feature with Axis cameras, you can set events to be triggered if the audio reaches the configured threshold. This functionality is built into the cameras, but you need to make sure it either has a built in mic or one is attached to it. I'm sure a lot of other manufacturers have this same feature.

That is nice, I think I have never seen any camera or DVR that has the option (actually I have never looked for it, maybe it is hiding somewhere on some units).

But on this case I would need it just as an external sensor, since it is for an installation that already exists. They have already a few DVRs, cameras, sensors, etc, and would like to add "noise sensors" on the system.

A little google work didn't net any results that seem worthy.

Not trying to be an Axis fanboy here, but the P8221 audio module can do this too. You just create an event that when audio goes to this level, close this relay. Might be a little too pricey for your application but it would get the job done. POE too!

It could do the job, audio input so any microphone can be used, and I guess I can make it trigger an alarm output. Not cheap, but at least it can be done.

Since they have video of the breakin & how they defeated the PIRs why don't they address & correct that problem. Properly installed (quality) PIRs are VERY hard to defeat. Seems like audio is just another false alarm waiting to happen

Since they have video of the breakin & how they defeated the PIRs why don't they address & correct that problem. Properly installed (quality) PIRs are VERY hard to defeat. Seems like audio is just another false alarm waiting to happen

I'm not that much on alarm systems, so I really have no clue on how to avoid a PIR detecting someone or how they did it to them. But it did happen. The guy probably knows way more than I do abaout alarms, we are mainly CCTV. But on their case, I am quite sure that an audio alarm would have worked, and it would have worked way in advance to any PIR, vibration sensor, etc., I doubt anyone can go through a wall without any sound being done, and the alert would trigger before they have been able to get inside.

What I am looking at preventing is something like this. Not exactly this, but you can get the idea (they didn't just use a hammer and made a hole, that would have triggered the vibration sensors).

216542_1.jpg

I was told by an alarm guy that glassbreak sensors would work on tin siding destruction. Never tried to verify it though.