Aibonator

Remote Viewing with Aliendvr Eko Plus

Hi,

I thought I was pretty IT literate until it came to this. I have an AliendvrEko+, works a treat. I'm trying to gain access via the internet at a location not on my local network and I'm stuggling to make it work. Here are the facts:

1. Using AlienDvr thick client works on my network.

2. Using InternetExplorer works on my network, i.e. I type the address of the DVR and it returns a Login page. Enter UserName, Password and Port, click Login and all is well.

3. So I can access this from other locations I set up a DNS. The free one from dyndns.com. This gives me a name which points to the IP of my router. I've set up TCP port forwarding of 80 and 8000 on the router (Sky Broadband) and pointed it to the local address of the DVR (192.168.0.x). If from my network I type it works, I get routed to the DVR, get the login page and I can log in.

4. I then tried it from my sons house via the internet. Typed in the dns name (also tried it with the actual internet IP of the Router as well), and I'm being routed to the DVR device because I get the same Login page delivered by the DVR. Perfect, until I come to login. It gives me an error "MAC Unset." in a Windows style dialogue box, and I get no further.

5. I've opened up the Windows firewall locally for port 8000 as a desperation move but same problem.

Dont understand why it works going to the DNS on the local network but not the internet. There is an option on the AlienDVR support pages to test the ports are open. I've entered my internet IP (same as DynDNS name), used port 8000 and it says all is ok?

I fear I have reached the learning capacity of my brain, and it can take no more.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Thanks.

So canyouseeme says port 8000 is open. I read somewhere that Sky used to block port 8000, so just to try it I moved everything over to port 5550, but still the same problem.

The MAC Unset error dialog was caused by the SystemQ ActiveX componant not registering. Since registering and knocking down the trusted site security settings I don't get the error, instead the Login page just deletes the Username, Password and Port entry and just reloads.

Maybe it is something more to do with the local IE settings. Are there other ActiveX settings I need to look for?