Sign in to follow this  
philom5

Mobile system - help

Hi guys, yup.., I'm new and know very little about the technical side of the video surveillance industry. And thus, is why I'm posting here.., so someone can tell me where I'm about to screw up and spend more money than needed.

I'm setting up a mobile surveillance platform and need to design a four camera system that can sit on top of a vehicle and then pass the data to a recorder in the trunk/boot of the car. I originally started going down the road of using wireless cameras and sending the data over a wireless bridge to the NVR in the trunk, but was told that this would be pricey and there might be data loss going wireless. Eventually I will expand the system to 8+ cams. .

So then I thought about recording locally at the camera to an SD card and then have the data sent wirelessly in batch to the NVR in the trunk.., but was told this would require some custom programming and again the cost might get out of control.

You see, my specific issue is I can't have a ton of wires hanging off the roof of the car heading into the trunk. The design has to be stealthy and at most I can get a cat5 cable to the roof, and 12v power, and that's it. This is why I originally wanted to go wireless. I would only need to supply power.

I'm currently thinking about using the Mobotix S14 system and have the data goto a switch, then down to the NVR via a solo cat5 cable. What I'd love to hear from other is..., can what I'm trying to do be accomplished differently, or is there a better hardware choice that might yield the same if not better results as the Mobotix system.

Requirements:

* Wide angle L/R cameras

* Narrow angle F/R cameras

* Must have WDR, high res, zoom and pan

Thanks !

Hi Blake, thanks for the reply. I'm trying to avoid that for obvious reasons. There is a stock antenna on the rear roof of the car so I can use that access point to run wires along the headliner and then to the trunk.

Any thoughts/ideas on my setup ? I'm not sure if i can get data streams from 4 cameras to run over a single cat5 cable. Also not sure if that cat5 cable can supply power to all the cameras as well.