So I had a break-in at my home a week ago and now it's time to add some cameras. I was initially looking at some of the Dahua cameras, but that Costco deal looks pretty good. I already own a POE switch and have an available dual quad core Xeon computer to use as my NVR host if my existing VM box won't suffice. I will use dedicated network storage for the content (iscsi or nfs). By the end of this project, by goal is to have 6 outdoor and 3 indoor cameras over the next couple of months. What am I missing?

That sucks that you're home got broken into. I hope everyone is safe and they didn't do too much damage. What NVR software are you planning on using on your dedicated computer? I've played around with Blue Iris and it's great for the price they offer, I think it's only $50 or so. I actually purchased a white label 2 MP dome camera with IR a few weeks ago, and it's a good camera for the price. Their free monitoring software that is included kinda sucks but you pay what you get for. Anyways, I plugged it into my network and it works great with Blue Iris. Just PM me if you want the ebay link to camera. Stay safe!

The Costco.com Swan 1080P two pack seems to be the best dea for $349l. Not saying the Q-See/Dahua two pack for $299 is bad, but it's 720P and 6mm lens which most people don't like.

Thanks guys. I've definitely been looking at the Blue Iris software. I'm sure that they're better cameras out there. For the money and my application, I think the Swanns are a good fit. Probably going to pick up two sets of them tomorrow morning.

So I had a break-in at my home a week ago and now it's time to add some cameras. I was initially looking at some of the Dahua cameras, but that Costco deal looks pretty good. I already own a POE switch and have an available dual quad core Xeon computer to use as my NVR host if my existing VM box won't suffice. I will use dedicated network storage for the content (iscsi or nfs). By the end of this project, by goal is to have 6 outdoor and 3 indoor cameras over the next couple of months. What am I missing?

Thats sucks...It took two breakins to our cars for me to get off my ass. I went with the full swann nvr from costco with 4 additional cameras...because I just wanted it to work. I have had a few issues. but nothing swann hasnt ben able to fix. I will probably actually add another dvr or something else for an alarm trigger to start recording all out side feeds from all cameras if my alarm goes off. Im actually thinking about adding anothe NVR or picking up the new 5216 dahua when availaible and adding the cameras to that. I only need 5 inside max

9 cams overkill? I don't see how an average home can be covered well with less, especially with three inside. One cam per entrance (3 doors average?), one cam for a simple driveway, plus two other cams for the rest of the approaches to the house gives 6 and I bet there will be some blind spots with just 6. Depending on layout, two or three cams could be placed to view the majority of "public" space in a two storey home.

9 cams overkill? I don't see how an average home can be covered well with less, especially with three inside. One cam per entrance (3 doors average?), one cam for a simple driveway, plus two other cams for the rest of the approaches to the house gives 6 and I bet there will be some blind spots with just 6. Depending on layout, two or three cams could be placed to view the majority of "public" space in a two storey home.

I have 8 on my house alone out side. Maybe its over kill my house is shaped like an L which causes all sorts of problems.

And I have some blind spots. I would have had to change the lens to cut the cameras down. I could easy have 5 in side my house.

Frontdoor (covers living room)

backdoor (covers kitchen and dining)

garage door / hallway

master bedroom

nusery

I could probably reduce it by 1 or 2, but not much more than that.