icom707

American Dynamics PTZ advice.

I went to see a customer this morning who has 2 x ultra 8 PTZ'S.

His current system is quite basic 16ch avtech DVR and 10 fixed cameras, he would like the 2 x PTZ'S installing.

I am not familar with american dynamics domes as most of the stuff i come accross is DM, pelco and samsung all use either RS485 or up the coax data.

From what i found on the internet the AD domes uses sensormatic, pelco etc all RS422 and coaxitron.

From what i cab gather the only difference between 485 and 422 is 485 is 1 way and 422 is 2 way, i did wire a 485 controller and change a few setting but it did not work.

So my question is is it better to get a dedicated controller for the domes or what type of convertor is best?

Is anyone familar with the address and protocol setup of these domes just so i know if i am doing correctly.

Thanks

Alan

I've wired up a few Ultra 8's using RS485 but it's been with American Dynamics DVRs. I really don't know anything about Avtech equipment. Here's what I can share, hopefully it will get you pointed in the right direction. The camera's address is set with the small number wheels on top of the camera. I used 4800, 8, 1, None for my baud settings at the DVR. Your RS485 wires will connect to the R+ and R- on the camera's I/O board. Power up the camera. As it's finishing its start up routine, you should get a "Detecting Network" message on the screen. When that message comes up, send a direction command to the camera. It will take about 15-30 seconds but it should detect the network and you'll get an "EIA422" message on the screen. Keep sending a direction command to the camera until it starts responding. It's another 30 seconds or so, if I'm remembering correctly. You should be good to go. I've got two Ultra 8's on my home system but they're controlled using SensorNet and an American Dynamics TouchTracker, rather than RS485. Hope this helps.

Does the Avtech DVR have a PTZ control function? If it does, I'm pretty sure it will have a Pelco or AD protocol. Sensornet is proprietary to AD. AD's RS422 and 485 are tri state which is proprietary to AD also. You need a touchtracker or keyboard like an AD 20XX. http://reliablecctv.com/cctv+pan-tilt-zoom+cameras/american+dynamics+cctv+ptz+equipment/american+dynamics+keyboards

I have two old AD keyboards that were working when I took them out 5 years ago.

If you want one PM me we will discuss.