hektor

New camera install

Yesterday, a friend of mine helped me to install a CNB VCM-24VF MONALISA OUTDOOR DOME (100 MM) - 600 TVL, 2.8~10.5 MM VARI-FOCAL LENS, TRUE DAY & NIGHT (ICR) and a DVR that I bought from 123 Security. Last night the picture was more than adequate, only the picture was upside down. Today we went out to fix that and we did, but tonight the picture was worthless - totally blurred with the night light on or off. Any hints what I can look for? I will have to say I am a complete novise at this. My friend is quite good, but I would also like to learn for myself.

Thanks, John

I'd bet you adjusted the focus when you spun the lens 180 degrees. Either that or the dome got covered in fingerprints or something, but most likely it needs the focus readjusted. There are two knurled screws you need to find after you take off the dome for lens length and focus adjustment. They're on the lens body (side of the black cylinder that holds the glass lens). You'll need someone watching the camera output while you're doing the adjusting- either someone inside with a phone/radio at the DVR monitor or just you with a tv plugged into the little remote RCA plug at the camera (the best method). If the little RCA dongle isn't installed then you'll need a BNC to RCA adapter plus monitor at the camera for good one-person adjustment or another person at the DVR and a radio for precise adjustment because it's possible that it got moved to a totally different zoom level from what it was set to before. There'll be a LOT of running back and forth to the DVR if you have to do it all yourself without a monitor at the camera. You can take down the camera, bring it into the DVR, get it close, and then reinstall and do the fine tuning if you want.

Thank you!. Today, I will try that and get back to you. He has a small laptop made for this and he said he would bring it over - with a laddar tall enough. My 6 foot ladder is not quite safe standing on the top step.

John

You don't want to be doing this standing on your tiptoes on top of a stepladder... Anyway, just find those little screws, loosen them up a bit, and then you can rotate the focus and zoom rings. Tighten up the screws when done. Focus on those is pretty fussy, too. It's a little tricky getting the focus right AND the screws tightened back up. It's good you have help and will have a screen right at the camera.

Well, my friend came by with his ladder and the portable monitor. He plugged it into the camera, made some adjustments and now the picture is quite good, remaining in color with the night light on. Now I have to figure out the motion detection and then run a cable from the DVR to the laptop in the house so I can monitor it inside the house rather than the room in the garage.

John