Angelfire

Acti D/E series...anyone getting good images?

Hiya Folks,

I've been researching cameras and such for my home and had settled on the Acti D55 and D72 based on specs/price alone. Unfortunately, when I go out to find reviews of these cameras, it appears they really aren't generating very good images, particularly at night/low light. I understand there was a recent firmware update and I've seen a post or two indicating the update didn't improve things much. Just wondering if anyone has used these and has found that they are capable of producing the images they should be producing? I'm on a serious timeline to get these ordered, installed, operational so if it appears they are still too buggy etc...then I'll have to start looking into other options.

Thanks much.

I will reply.

I just recently picked up an ACTi E33 and E43 cameras. Overall, daytime quality is pretty good. Night time captures are not very good at all. I am fairly new to security cameras, so perhaps it could be how I have them set up. I have tweaked different settings on the cameras, and haven't seem much difference in image capture.

I have installed the latest firmware, but with little change. I will post some images on here if you are interested.

Thanks. I'd be interested in seeing what you're getting.

I was really hoping the Acti's would be a good, low budget alternative to the Dahua's/etc... but it appears this may not be the case. Limited feedback so far but what I've seen to date emulates your feedback pretty close.....great daytime performance but not so good at night.

Cheers.

Attached is a photo of black and white night mode of the E33

The black and white mode is in complete darkness.

Color mode of the E33

Black and white mode of the E43:

The E43 has some additional light from the post by the pool. I have a "75 watt" LED bulb in there. I cannot seem to get the E43 to focus.

Like I said, I am fairly new to IP cameras, so I could have a setting wrong. I played around with settings, but didn't get them the change too much.

Channel02_20130513215958_075.thumb.jpg.e35bd4029fb6c01360c16aacf5b7974f.jpg

Channel02_20130513204242_059.thumb.jpg.c6385006d211b66fb8fdd6350aa72510.jpg

Channel01_20130513214048_633.thumb.jpg.7fecff536ed1a9549c841a0c11d4a506.jpg

Thank you for posting these. Sure seems like the Acti D/E series does a great job during daylight hours but as shown, they struggle in low or no light. I know they did a firmware upgrade but just wondering if future upgrades would get them working well or should I just start looking for something else?

ACTi has an E46 camera which is supposed to be an excellent low-light performer, however, I cannot seem to find any video of screenshots from it. Perhaps that might be the option. I do like ACTi's NVR software, and like you said, the daylight quality is exceptional, and their price isn't bad at all.

I found the E46 for $506 on a website, so price wise it isn't bad, IMHO.

I might try getting an additional IR panel to see if that helps.