Sign in to follow this  
David Reed

Inherited CCTV system

A yard I have taken over had some cctv stuff left behind, which I would like to use if possible.

Firstly, There are two Samsung SDN-550 day/night cameras in housings. I don't know if the cameras work as I have nothing to connect them to. The housings also appear to have heaters as the labels mention voltages. Could anyone advise what I would need to run these cameras, both in terms of powering them and the housings, and in terms of recording/viewing etc. Would a single device handle both power and recording/viewing ect? Bare in mind I don't want to spend a fortune on a recorder/box incase the cameras are faulty and I'm chucking money away.

Secondly, there is a Derwent 500 IR lamp, but the bulb is smashed so I would need a replacement. In addition, there isn't a PSU which Im led to believe you need. Where can I source these or would it be too costly to make it viable?

Hopefully someone could poke me in the right direction.

Cheers.

image.jpg.a9440b57040942aa1751338da0b326d1.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.5e756c44bc17dc39279538469f3dcdfc.jpg

Most modern CCTV cameras can either run on 24 volt AC, or 12 volt DC. Depending on the total number of cameras you can buy a separate power supply that has multiple outputs for running 4, 9, 16 etc. You could also use a single power supply for each one, its your choice. So if you have an older 12vdc wall wart laying around you could use it to power the camera. The current draw is fairly low so something like a half amp would suffice to power it.

The cameras will output composite video, not sure if your average TV would have a composite input where you are, guessing UK? In the US a yellow colored RCA connector is a composite input, which is on pretty much every TV now. You will be able to at least see if they work at all and if they produce a good image.

The best thing to record with would be a DVR, which usually does not have a power supply built in to run cameras. I would verify the cameras work first before you worry about a DVR.