Sign in to follow this  
flynreelow

Installation Cost for IP Camera

I have been an audio/video integrator for the past 12 years, and am now getting into the IP camera game. I read a thread a few months back that talked about the average price, per camera, that integrators charge for install and set up? Just wondering what the "pros" here charge for a job that includes mounting cameras, running wires, setting up the poe switch and NVR, smartphone apps, etc.

Let me know..

Thanks!

I have been an audio/video integrator for the past 12 years, and am now getting into the IP camera game. I read a thread a few months back that talked about the average price, per camera, that integrators charge for install and set up? Just wondering what the "pros" here charge for a job that includes mounting cameras, running wires, setting up the poe switch and NVR, smartphone apps, etc.

Let me know..

Thanks!

I'm not in the a/v integrator business but IP cameras are borderline IT stuff now.

stuff like setting up switches, configuring routers and smartphone falls in the zone of computer tech.

the stuff I do.

I'm at $80-$100 an hour. if that helps

My wife has a small business, and she also has to charge in that range to make it worthwhile to do anything, due to all the overhead. People think that's a lot of money, and it would be if you worked a 40 hour cubicle job for that, but not for a service/install business.

I'm not a pro, but here's what I'd break a job into:

- Hardware and software costs.

- Install costs - running cables, mounting and focusing cams, setting up the gear both offsite and at the customer site.

- Initial training for the customer (varies a lot depending on your target customer base).

- Creation of training materials and docs, if you use something besides just giving out copies of the manuals.

- Support - warranty, service, fixing customer-induced problems, etc.

The cost of physical install can be a major portion of the job, especially if you need to hire an electrician to run cables, for example. Lots of hours involved, even on simple jobs, and not something you'd want a minimum wage employee to do.

As gencom says, you have to be a bit of an IT expert these days as well.

If it were me, I'd seriously consider setting up a system at home to get my feet wet.