Sign in to follow this  
captainpsp

NVR vs a PC running Win 7 with Blue Iris

I am buying some IP cameras. Grandstream/Dahua 2MP domes. Keep hearing about these NVR's in this thread.

Is there a disadvantage of using a PC with blue iris running on it? One could get a quad core for 3-400 with 4TB drive for a total of $500.

Would that not make sense.

I am buying some IP cameras. Grandstream/Dahua 2MP domes. Keep hearing about these NVR's in this thread.

Is there a disadvantage of using a PC with blue iris running on it? One could get a quad core for 3-400 with 4TB drive for a total of $500.

you would think that but im finding out that bi seems to take alot more procession power than I think it did. Im new to thi, you might want to check out the cam it forums.

I aloso asked the same quesiton here at the bottom of this page

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=35206&start=405

you would think that but im finding out that bi seems to take alot more procession power than I think it did. Im new to thi, you might want to check out the cam it forums.

http://www.cctvforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=35206&start=405

Where are you getting this information from? Go to the blue iris forum, cam-it.org and read the posts. Yes you will not be able to run 8 2mp at 20fps cameras on an old first gen i3... you dont want to be using those power hogs anyways. An i5 sandy/ivy processor will be able to handle your load with room to spare. There is also a direct to disk option which will lower cpu utilization. In the past I have run 4 1.3 mp cameras at 15fps on an i3 sandy bridge laptop. Keep in mind that many NVR's have a max fps that is split over all the cameras so you may not be able to get 20fps over 8 cams on an NVR.

With intel haswell coming out next month the performance will increase and power consumption will decrease.

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=35206&start=405

Where are you getting this information from? Go to the blue iris forum, cam-it.org and read the posts. Yes you will not be able to run 8 2mp at 20fps cameras on an old first gen i3... you dont want to be using those power hogs anyways. An i5 sandy/ivy processor will be able to handle your load with room to spare. There is also a direct to disk option which will lower cpu utilization. In the past I have run 4 1.3 mp cameras at 15fps on an i3 sandy bridge laptop. Keep in mind that many NVR's have a max fps that is split over all the cameras so you may not be able to get 20fps over 8 cams on an NVR.

With intel haswell coming out next month the performance will increase and power consumption will decrease.

From the cam-it forums is where ive been getting this info. I was looking at putting an ivy bridge xeon 1240 in a barebones 1U chassis.

Then I was reading that the chances of running 8 cams and recording on motion @ 1080P at a mininium of 20 FPS per cam. That I would be pushing it.