2000xj

Best night time low light camera

I am trying to see who is messing around in my yard at night. I have an ACTi E43 camera with infrared mounted on the eve of my house. The image is pretty grainy and doesn't allow for much IR light in the far back part of my yard. If I had to guess, I would say that the far part of my yard is probably 50-70' away from the house.

E43 picture here:

Ideally, a high quality low light camera mounted on the house would be idea. I would also be open to a trail cam mounted on a tree in the back. By the pool, I have a power plug, so possibly a wireless camera mounted somewhere around there? Possibly an IR emitter mounted back there somewhere?

Do you guys have any ideas on how to best "see" that area? I am willing to spend some money on this, so I am looking for options.

Channel01_20130513214048_633.thumb.jpg.9043165df06541c6f2291ea8fd0d31e1.jpg

First off you'll like more cameras unless you get lucky. Nice overview shot with the one you have but it'll be tough to get the whole area up to snuff with that cam at night. A couple of IR illuminators will help, preferably wide angle (120 degree maybe). Black flash trailcam will help too, especially at the far end. If you have power out there, why not try using one of those Ethernet over 110v AC network extenders instead of screwing with wireless? That way you can stick any network cam you want out there. If you want to stick with ACTi look at their E44. Haven't seen sample pics from it yet but it is their new low-light bullet.

A motion floodlight would help a lot as well. Maybe even a standalone driveway alarm that rings in the house when the beam is broken if this stuff is happening while you're home. Nothing says lovin like a bat and some shovin.

Hey, I think hiding the camera in the bush would also be a better option. That ways, you will get a clear and a closer image of the person without even letting him know the presence of the camera. Or you can also use an IR camera which would be suitable for the range.