Sign in to follow this  
Dorf411

Midrange camera selection help (Vivotek?)

I want to buy a couple midrange outdoor cameras around $500ea to use with Blue Iris to monitor our commercial facility.

I already have on of the Dahau 1.3Mp bullets and it is a bit of a disappointment. I found the Vivotek IP8335H and IP7361 and they seem to be good options. I was considering the 7361 over the 8335 because of the higher resolution but also want the WDR of the 8335 and can't decide. I also considered ACTi but don't really like the way they do their exposed cables.

I also need to have good low temp capability due to our extreme cold temps in the midwest. What would others suggest for this range of camera or other options I have probably overlooked in this price range for a great value and quality camera.

I want to buy a couple midrange outdoor cameras around $500ea to use with Blue Iris to monitor our commercial facility.

I already have on of the Dahau 1.3Mp bullets and it is a bit of a disappointment. I found the Vivotek IP8335H and IP7361 and they seem to be good options. I was considering the 7361 over the 8335 because of the higher resolution but also want the WDR of the 8335 and can't decide. I also considered ACTi but don't really like the way they do their exposed cables.

I also need to have good low temp capability due to our extreme cold temps in the midwest. What would others suggest for this range of camera or other options I have probably overlooked in this price range for a great value and quality camera.

Try ACTi - mid-range well priced and D/E series rated well below what you would receive temperature wise in your region.

If you don't like Dahua, then Vivotek will be worse, especially in low light.

I just got my ACTi E44, low light 1080P camera and it runs the cables through the camera through the mount like Dahua, so you may like that camera but not sure it will be $500.

I just got my ACTi E44, low light 1080P camera and it runs the cables through the camera through the mount like Dahua, so you may like that camera but not sure it will be $500.

The E44 (2MP Bullet with D/N, IR, Basic WDR, SLLS, Vari-focal lens, f2.8-12mm/F1.4, H.264, 1080p/30fps, DNR, PoE, IP66) is retailing for $859 CAD.

Thanks for the great feedback, I will take a closer look at the ACTi line of cameras. I was looking the other night and like the looks of the ones with 12x zoom. They are over my target price but will probably add much value.

Thanks for the great feedback, I will take a closer look at the ACTi line of cameras. I was looking the other night and like the looks of the ones with 12x zoom. They are over my target price but will probably add much value.

Take a look at ACTi's product Matrix: http://www.acti.com/support/productmatrix/productMatrix.asp.

There are camera's that are lower priced than the E44.

I'm in the same boat as you....$500 range per outdoor camera that would be rated to -40 celcius.

I'm currently looking at the D82 (3MP Outdoor Dome with D/N, IR, Vari-focal lens, f2.8-12mm/F1.4, H.264, 1080p/30fps, DNR, MicroSDHC, PoE, IP66, IK10) and E74 (3MP Outdoor Dome with D/N, IR, Superior WDR, Fixed lens, f2.93mm/F2.0, H.264, 1080p/30fps, DNR, MicroSDHC, PoE, IP66, IK10).

The only problem with D82 is that is has no WDR; Just debating on how much I need the feature as the rest of the specs are perfect for my needs.

The D82 retails for ~$450 CAD and E74 ~ $558; More in my price range.

These cams should be slightly lower in USA.

I had asked Buellwinkle if he could inquire with ACTi to get demo's of these two cams. Just waiting to see if he does as I like his reviews.

After a much closer look at the ACTi line of cameras I think I am okay with the following parameters:

Fixed focal length

3MP

WDR

Low operating temp

I have come down to the E32 or E34 and I am also considering the E72 or E74. After some consideration I can see some benefits of the exposed cable mounting provided there is a jack inside the bullet camera to plug into. But that basic mount that is provided sure does look wimpy.

Is it safe to assume the dome version of the cameras above will work equally as well as the bullet counterpart?

The E32 is a great bang for the buck. I actually installed mine with one of the mounts ACTi sells for it's older bullets that didn't come with it. On a breezy day, the mount they provide flexes.

Would there be any significant disadvantage by getting the dome over the bullet? Would I be able to expect the same level of quality as the bullet?

I use a ton of ACTi cameras and they work very well for me, but I also use Vivotek cameras and have been very pleased with them. In my case I'm using the basic 1mp cameras and had moved to ACTi from Vivotek but am considering switching back now.

I have way more issues getting a good picture in low light on the ACTi cameras than I do on the Vivotek cameras for some reason. I tweak and tweak the ACTi cameras where the Vivotek gives me a good image right off. Many times the Vivotek will be giving a good color picture where the ACTi is black and white only and not great then.

For a high megapixel camera though ACTi may well be the better choice for now, not sure how well Vivotek compares there. As far as dome vs bullet I prefer bullet cameras too, the only major reason is that at times the cameras with built in IR will reflect on the dome resulting in a very bad image. If mounting outdoors the bullet is many times more waterproof as the average dome is open on the back side.

Bullets, like Piñatas can be easily vandalized, for example, even a simple tap with a broom handle can turn the camera the other way, a smack with baseball bat and it's over. I've had crows land on bullets and shift the camera. But they are easy to point, don't have as many glare issues that domes have, don't have as many IR bleed issues as domes have.

Domes can't be shifted, you can barely tell where a dome is pointed, and most vandal domes can take a hit from a baseball bat and still be recording, hence the name vandal dome. The dome is dispensable and replaceable. But it's not problem free. They are a PITA to aim and focus as you have to get it perfect in 3 axis and I've had the aim and focus shift when attaching the dome cover on some models as the rubber donut that separates the IR LEDs from the lens have to be tight against the dome. You can get glare streaks, for example, reflecting back of chrome on a car it can create a star effect or streak. You can also getting fogging from the sun hitting the curvature of the dome a certain way. Then with an IR dome you are pushing light beams across a reflective curved surface, no matter what, their will be some amount of light fogging from the illuminators and in some cases, enough to show you a ring of pearls as I call them, which is the reflection of the IR light ring on the image. Then even if it's good at the start, over time it can degrade as the rubber donut degrades. Personally, on my projects where I use vandal domes, I don't use IR domes at all.

I use a ton of ACTi cameras and they work very well for me, but I also use Vivotek cameras and have been very pleased with them. In my case I'm using the basic 1mp cameras and had moved to ACTi from Vivotek but am considering switching back now.

I've had good luck with my 1MP Vivoteks, as well. They've been some of my most reliable and fiddle-free cameras, except the IR filter can get unreliable after a few years. I have one I keep in night mode 24x7 because of this.

Don't know how the newer models compare, though.

I went ahead and ordered an E34 and give it a shot, I would really like to get one of the Vivotek at the same time just to do a comparison but won't to save money. Thanks for all of the feedback that everyone has provided.