kcwf25496

Questions mostly about NVR and PTZ options

Hello all. I'm new here and I've got a few questions that if any one could give some input on, I'd greatly appreciate it. I've read quite a few other posts hoping to find some answers but haven't been through all the thousands of posts to find a specific answer so please be nice if this has been asked before, because more than likely it has.

I have done some surveillance system installs on the side now for a couple years, mostly for people that I know that needed them at their business etc.. Well it's taken off a good bit more than ever expected and I'm having a lot of different needs from customers than the "standard" or "typical" type of install that I've done. Typically all that I've done the past couple years is just 4-8-16 channel DVR setups with wired BNC/DC cable to each camera. And of course I've set up IP viewing on their phones and computers so I'm familiar with all of that. Questions that I'm coming across now are such as PTZ options for cameras, and also, larger number than 16ch on a single system. I've seen the occasional 32ch system floating around, but I've been noticing a lot more of the "NVR" type setups coming up in my searchings. Now I've never done anything like a NVR setup and I'm not even sure that I fully understand what it is/does or can do.

Some examples of what I'm wondering is available are, customer needs 20 cameras but doesn't want to buy a 16ch system + whatever else system, they want it on one system. And also with the option to add more cameras on that system down the road. They need recording function but it doesn't have to be some massive multi terrabyte setup. Also just need to IP view on their computer / phone. Sure I could just go with that 32ch bnc dvr system but I'm just curious as to what the other options are because from what I'm reading, there are other options, I just don't think I'm understanding it properly or either these manufacturer's aren't really being that informative about what they're selling.

The other main question I have is about PTZ cameras. I've always just used standard stationary BNC cameras. What all do I need to know about PTZ cameras as far as installation / connection hookups / specific DVR type requirements etc...? Also I don't even know what to look for / how to shop for PTZ cameras, other than the obvious, just searching for PTZ cameras. Can PTZ cameras work on any DVR system? I was told that they use a different type of connection but wasn't given much detail so I'm really in the dark about PTZ all together.

Any information about any of the above mentioned stuff would be awesome and thanks in advance.

Casey

Also forgot to mention, wireless cameras are not really an option cameras at this point for this particular question in mind. It will have to be hard wired. As far as the question about the network camera setup, would they physically be wired with ethernet cable and is power over ethernet an option, or would each individual camera have to have a power source plugged in at the spot of the camera, or what?

Thanks again

You can do a 16 channel nvr linked to a 4 channel nvr and get your 20 channels.The customer won't know the difference as they should never mess with the equipment.That's what your contract is for.As long as they can view all 20 channels, they should be fine. Depending on the location, select your cameras based on where they are going (bullet or dome) and what they need to see (lenses and megapixels). From there that will give you your nvr requirements along with your poe and nework requirements.