rrauenza

Dahua rebranded SAD0800H

I'm looking for an 4-8 channel DVR. My requirements are D1 or 4CIF, internet viewing of recorded and live data, and FTP push of motion captures. And I'd like to find a driveless one for <$200 (no cameras.)

I think the SAD0800H does those. But I think the price I pay is a pretty low frame rater for D1 capture. On the other hand, I'm just trying to pick up cars parked in front and people at the front door. I'm not recording fine detail motions.

Argh - I googled that model to see if anyone could look up the specs, but there are so many spammy hits. So, I'm getting the specs from security camera agent, which I hope is Ok to say 'cause they're on the 'where to find dahua' list. I'll post the links and specs farther down.

I started off looking at night owl and zmodo because my local store has them, and they have a great return policy if I think the DVR is crap. And I think the zmodo might do FTP. But I thought I would also look at the Dahuas, especially since I can't find a comparison sheet to show me the difference between the three night owl's available to me. But what I also noticed is the Dahua has a much lower framerate for its high res video than the Night Owl and Zmodo. Am I going to be really disappointed in its D1 recording capabilities?

I wish I could find a full manual... So what is the opinion on this DVR? Is it one of the better ones?

https://securitycameraagent.com/files/GESSD-SA0800H.pdf

https://securitycameraagent.com/files/SA%20D0400H_D08_D16.pdf

H.264 compression, 8ch video inputs, 4ch audio inputs; 1 SATA HDD, 2 USB 2.0; Record: CIF realtime recording&D1 recording at 6/7fps; dual encoding streams, smart phone monitoring(windows mobile). RS485, TV, VGA output, 1U MINI CASE

Features

•4/8/16 channel entry level mini 1U standalone DVR

•Up to 4/8/16 cameras with SXGA(1280×1024) display

•H.264 dual-stream video compression

•VGA / TV synchronous video output

•Live, recording, playback, backup & remote access

•All cannel simultaneous realtime playback

•Smart video detection: MD, camera blank, video loss

•3D intelligent positioning with Dahua PTZ dome camera

•Easy backup: USB devices, network download

•Support 1 SATA HDD, 2 USB2.0

•Built-in web server, multi-DVR client, DMSS & CMS

I wish I could find a full manual... So what is the opinion on this DVR? Is it one of the better ones?

That is the DVR with the lowest specs available from Dahua (their entry level model). So to answer your question, no, it's not one of the better ones. It is actually the worse one they currently manufacture. Note that I do not mean it is a bad unit, but it is the one they have with the lowest specifications and the least options.

But it does do what you are asking for, and I am sure you should be able to find it much cheaper than $200.

Last 31xx units I have gotten from Dahua were not 31xxE any more, they were 31xxH which have slightly better specs. So I do not even know if 31xxE are still being manufactured.

http://www.dahuasecurity.com/products/dvr3104-3108-3116e--65.html

http://www.dahuasecurity.com/products/dvr310431083116h-217.html

I may have been wrong about the others having better recording specs than the Dahua - the night owl Poseidon also seems to do around 6-7 fps at D1. Which is fine for me, I think. This is residential.

night owl:

D1 (704 x480) @ 60 fps (7.5 fps per channel)

I'm a bit confused with the dahua specs, though:

The -E

Record Rate 	Main Stream: 	D1(1~6/7fps)/CIF(1~25/30fps)

Extra Stream 	QCIF(1~25/30fps)

The -H

Record Rate 	Main Stream: 	D1(1~25/30fps) 	2ch@D1+6ch@CIF
(1~25/30fps) 	CIF (1~25/30fps)

Extra Stream 	QCIF(1~25/30fps)

So what is the main stream vs. extra stream? And does the above imply the -E has 8ch D1 concurrent recordings at D1, and the -H doesn't? How does one interpret those frame rate/channel specs? (and I understand the premise that the system can handle X fps, but if you split that bandwidth across channels, you get X/Y fps.)

With 3108-E you can record all 8 channels at CIF@25fps each channel; or you can record all 8 channels at D1@6fps each channel; or you can mix them (say, 4 ch D1@6fps and 4ch at CIF@25fps).

With 3108-H you can record all 8 channels at 2CIF@25fps each channel; or you can record 2 chahnels at D1@25fps and 6ch at CIF@25fps. Keep in mind that I think this depends on firmware, I have used 3108-H that only allowed me to do "2 chahnels at D1@25fps and 6ch at CIF@25fps", and they did not allow "8 channels at 2CIF@25fps each channel".

Did you end up going a specific direction? I had a lower-end Night Owl hooked up and the picture quality on the monitor and remote (iPhone) feed was terrible so we're taking it back and looking at options. I chose it b/c of the local option and good return policy. I'm second guessing now though as I see the specs look like some of the others but I'm so new to CCTV that I'm not quite sure yet I'm understanding the specs properly.