kurt323

Help! I need a good POE camera. My ACTI KCM7111 is no good!

I have been trying to live with this outdoor ACTI-7111 I bought about 6 months ago. I think it is piece of junk! Yes, it has a good resolution. It has a lot of features (maybe). But, one thing about this camera has been annoying me so much that I decided to seek help to find a good better camera. This what I would like to accomplish:

Record people or cars when they are on my long driveway (about 200 feet) and on my front yard. I also like to see the recordings over the internet. ACTI KCM7111 is not working for me, because it records whenever the sky changes (moving clouds), sun rise, sun set, etc... So, I would have many recordings without actual people and cars in it, just showing me the changes in exposure of the sceen. I tried many different settings, nothing seems to work so far. If I set sensitivity low it seems to avoid exposure-change recodings, but it also avoids recoding people and cars. I am starting to think this camera is not a good camera for outdoor use.

Those are very common problems when trying to use video-based motion detection in an outdoor setting. Nothing wrong with the camera, just the detection method. That camera supports PIR inputs so why not attach a PIR motion detector and set it to record only when the PIR fires off?

First, why are you recording the sky?

Not a fan of the 4MP ACTi cameras, their low light sensitivity is pretty poor. The camera has been replaced by newer 3 & 5MP cameras that are considerably better, but still will not do what you want.

There's a 1080P dome that has a large hard drive built in and does video analytics right in the camera. This will distinguish between clouds, shadows and people to give you accurate motion detection as you expect. Check out their website at http://www.videoiq.com/

Also, Mobotix now has MxAnalytics in their latest firmware to do object detection rather than video motion detection. It's in their newer cameras like the D15 dome.

Those are very common problems when trying to use video-based motion detection in an outdoor setting. Nothing wrong with the camera, just the detection method. That camera supports PIR inputs so why not attach a PIR motion detector and set it to record only when the PIR fires off?

Listen to this advice. Use actual sensors to trigger alerts... not video motion detection. The latter will give you hundreds of false alerts.

Thanks to all for all the great comments. Unfortunately, those cameras with video analytics are way too expensive for me (especially after I spent big $$$'s on this ACTI camera). I will try the PIR option for a while. I think it will improve things for me for a minor additonal cost. I may still use the camera's motion sensor in conjunction with the external PIR, but reduce its range and sensitivity to limit false alarms. This was I think I will capture all I need with minimal false alarms.

Thanks to all for all the great comments. Unfortunately, those cameras with video analytics are way too expensive for me (especially after I spent big $$$'s on this ACTI camera). I will try the PIR option for a while. I think it will improve things for me for a minor additonal cost. I may still use the camera's motion sensor in conjunction with the external PIR, but reduce its range and sensitivity to limit false alarms. This was I think I will capture all I need with minimal false alarms.

You will not be disappointed. Honestly? Hard-wired sensors are the ONLY way to get alerts... video-motion alerts send you so many false alarms that you end up turning them off just to save your sanity. That guarantees that you won't be paying attention when something actually happens.

Go hard-wired, or go home. Seriously.