Sign in to follow this  
wkdwrx

wirless internet for cctv

hi all im kind of new to this I have a question . I don't have the internet at my house I only have wireless prepay on a stick . I want to view my cctv on the internet . if I bought another prepay for my recorder would it work ? how much gb would it chew like say I buy $30 credit thts 4gb would that last a week month 6 month s ???is it even possible to use a prepay internet dongle ?

hope to hear back

thanks

shannon

It can be done, you will need a router that supports your USB stick. For how long will it last? That depends on what video streams you will be viewing (it is not the same to watch a camera at 1920x1080@25fps, than to watch a camera at 176x144@6fps), and how often you will be watching those cameras. If you only take a peek once a day, it will last more than a week. If you will be watching non stop, 4Gb might not even last for a day.

I have used sometimes this TP-Link router with success:

http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/?categoryid=&model=TL-MR3020

so if I buy a TL-MR3020 wireless router put my Telstra wireless internet on it . and connect it to my dvr it should work its just to have a peek at while im at work not to sit there watching all day .

oh now I nly have a Samsung wave s8500 mob can I view my cameras on my phone or have to be a newer phone like Iphone ect or any phone will do

what about ip address and stuff . sorry for all the questions as I said im new tothis :_)

so if I buy a TL-MR3020 wireless router put my Telstra wireless internet on it . and connect it to my dvr it should work its just to have a peek at while im at work not to sit there watching all day .

No, I didn't say it should work. I do not know what USB stick you have, so I can not tell you if it is compatible with MR3020. It is not easy to configure, you will have to take care of port forwarding, seting up a dynamic DNS domain, etc. I said it can be done, but it is not so easy to setup.

If you need to ask if a Samsung Wave will do the job, I would say that you probably be better with help from someone to set this up for you.

I hope that if you are asking for this is because you can not get a fixed internet connection at your house. If you do have it, that is the route you should go.

I use an app called TinyCam Monitor to view my cameras from my Android phone over the Internet. It scales the images down to fit the screen, and the frame rate is basically a slide show, but at least I can kinda see what's going on back at home.

For reference, I check my cameras for maybe 1 minute per day on average, and I've never even come close to using my full 2GB monthly bandwidth allotment.