wkdwrx

broke the glass on my cctv camera

I have a bullet camera and I was about to pick it up slip out of my hand drop it and smashed the glass. now is it glass or special glass ???? like can I go to a glass shop get a piece cut up or have to be special stuff ?

Any glass close to the same thickness should work fine. I doubt there's any special anti-glare coatings, particularly if it's a cheapo bullet camera.

A local glass shop would charge me $5-$10 bucks to cut a circle that would fit. Cheap to try it out and I doubt you'd notice the difference even if the cam was $400. Getting the right thickness would be the most important. You want a good seal on the inside so you don't get IR bleed into the lens (there's probably a foam or rubber ring around the lens to block reflected light from the outer ring of LEDs) and a good seal on the outside as well so water doesn't get in.

well I unscrew the big bolt that holds the glass in place the outter is plastic and in the centre ring is the glass which was smashed . now have to find a glass shop that will cut a 30mm glass by 1.1 mm thick and so far no luck

1.1mm is pretty thin. Is the main issue the fact that they don't have the right glass? Might not be possible to twist their arm hard enough to bring in a whole sheet for one tiny job. Do you have any electronics repair shops around that do warranty work for consumer video cameras? They often get handheld video cameras in for repair that end up being junked for one reason or another. Might find parts there if you get lucky. Not sure how many have protective glass on them. Might be worth a shot to find a local place that sells/installs CCTV cameras. They might have some junked ones around that have glass that'll fit. Heck, even buying a NEW $15 cheapo CMOS garbage cam just for the glass would be worth it to save a $130 cam if the glass was the right size.

Hi wkdwrx.

You could try some perspex or similar plastic instead of glass. That way you can trim and file it down to size yourself. The places that sell it usually have a box of cheap off-cuts.

I think I may have fix the problem I was looking on ebay and could not find anything and I went to look at my watch to see the time and I thought hey what about the glass from a watch . I found a place on ebay sell watch glass replacement 30mm for $4 once I get it and fit it ill let yous know how I go

I have a service spare that was dropped during installation and the glass around the IR LEDs cracked. I replaced it and kept it for a service loan camera and although cracked no moisture appears to have penetrated the housing so I'm leaving well alone. Would have been nice to have had a definitive answer though. I thought the glass was too thin to find in a glass supply shop as it's generally 3mm or geater thick. The thin stuff seems to be for special applications generally.

The thin glass is used as picture glass. The trick would be finding someone able to cut an accurate circle that small. I've found the thin stuff is easier to cut and shape than the thick, so not impossible.

The watch glass is a good idea, so long as it's flat, and not convex or concave. Not a bad price either.

this is the glass i bought for my camera that i smashed . These are made of glass/mineral they are manufactured by Excel. they have a slight bevel at very edge for a better fit and so edges are not sharp, otherwise these are completly flat, suitable for pocketwatches and large watches.

semy2.jpg.d0002a419014ef22afa879519b14092b.jpg

wow this is really good information. I will keep this in mind in case my glass ever shatters, but I don't see that happening unless it drops or something.

The things you learn on this forum, this has to be among one of the most practical tips I've picked up

on this forum and it's just occurred to me a glass from an alarm clock might even work for the camera

I was talking about. a watch and **** repairer (as rare as they are these days) might be able to supply and

these guys are usually precision engineers and may well be capable of cutting the glass to fit also.

UPDATE either I misspelt CLOCK or this forum has a hearing problem.

still waiting on the glass to turn up may take a few weeks as im in Australia and its coming from the uk . ill show u a pic of the cameras I have that im fixing the glass bit on

556808098_o.jpg.48390f1447a8a609efbcf2711e113d77.jpg

558762819_o.jpg.b5d39906f4d5ae45369612e3ab9b5099.jpg

now the glass bit that broke was in the middle of the camera whwrre the lens is . so I unscrew the face and theres a big bolt that holds the cover on

'9the glass face) the part that was smashed I smahed it all out and made it all clean ready for the glass that's coming . hopefully it works

hi , yes I have had a similar problem, that i solved with my local glass /frame maker , he had a cutter on a circular holder , much like a naval protractor and cut me a round glass of my required dia in a jiffy , so fast that I asked him to make me another , pity though about the IR -bleed cover , that is irreplaceable, but again appling my mind I had retrived it from the shattered glass , trimmed it a little and placed it on the IR board ... worked good as new , and I'm happy to say , after a year or so , there has been no issues with it , even during the monsoon conditions... regd toolman /~