n0fx

Dahua Box IP Camera IPC-HF3100

I'm thinking about buying the Costco Qsee 4 Channel 720P set but I wanted to replace one of the cameras with a box camera. I need to view an area that's about 100ft away from the location of where I'm going to put the camera and I know they are rebranded Dahua cameras. I was thinking of getting a Dahua Box IPC-HF3100 1.3MP camera and adding a 15~50mm lens to the box camera. It's going to be thrown in an enclosure to keep it from the environments.

Have any of you guys used the IPC-HF3100 camera or would you guys think I should use a different model? This is to view a storage building entrance about 100ft away and I can't run the line closer over there, since the person will be moving out of the location in a year or two and just wants something propped up temporarily to use for the time being. I think he's going to pull it down afterwards when they move out.

I've also been reading the other threads that the Lorex HIKVISION is also a good budget set to get, as I've noticed that Costco pulled out the Qsee systems now?

i think u need to use the HF3 101 model , it has the WDR function , be more suitablefor the entrance.

There are a few basic differences between box cams and bullet/dome cams. Whether it's worth it depends on your needs.

- Most box cams (like this one) use CS mount lenses, or C mount with an adapter. These are often more expensive than M12 lenses, but are much more flexible, and you can get nice lenses cheap if you don't mind used and watch ebay. Also, the field of view is much more predictable, since CS lenses have standards, unlike M12 lenses. Like always, you'd want to make sure they're MP and IR rated, if you're using IR. If you search MPIR on ebay, you'll see some affordable Computar CS mount auto-iris lenses.

- The lens can have true auto-iris, which is better in many situations than the electronic exposure control of M12 lens cameras, or you can use fixed iris if you want.

- The lens generally isn't included, so that's an extra cost.

- If you want to mount it outdoors, you'll need an enclosure, which will be much bigger and bulkier than a bullet or dome, but you have the flexibility of heaters, fans, wipers, whatever.

- If you want IR, you'll need an external illuminator, which has its own pluses and minuses.

- Box cams take a standard camera mount, which gives a lot more flexibility than the built-in mounts on bullets or domes, but isn't as compact. I'd like to see all bullets with a standard mount connection and a removable built-in mount.

In general, I like box cams a lot for the lens flexibility, but have moved towards preferring compact outdoor cams with built-in IR, so it's a trade-off, like always.

As for the specific model, I haven't seen any tests on it. If it uses the basic Dahua 1.3MP sensor and processor, it'll have the same problems as the 1.3MP bullet cam, with soft video in the shadows.

The Lorex/Swann cameras are way better than Q-See Dahua cameras besides them being twice the resolution.

"them being twice the resolution"? the different model has the different resolution. first they must have the same resolution, otherwise there is no comparability.