Securame

looking for good quality USB camera with drivers/source

Didn't know where to post this, so I will try here.

I have a customer that builds darts machines like the following:

224875_1.jpg

Each machine has two cameras, one looking at the bulls eye, and the other one looking at the player. The cameras are analog cameras, sensor, lens, and connected to a capture board on the computer inside the machine.

Now they are building a new machine, and they want to get rid of the analog cameras/capture card, and replace the cameras with USB cameras. This way the camera will get power from the USB (no additional wiring needed to power the cameras with 12V from the computer power supply) and mainly, so they can get rid of the capture cards, which needs a PCI slot, a big computer, and Windows XP (the new model will have low profile computers). Ideally I would need 2pc USB cameras that give decent image quality (the $US5 webcams just don't do it), from a brand or manufacturer than won't be changing models every year, and hopefully with open source drivers, since the next version of the machine should run some flavour of Linux.

Any hints?

I also gave them the idea of going IP camera, with two small POE cameras; but that would need more expensive cameras, and at least a small POE switch which would also add to the cost, and also the space inside the machine will be very tight, so they did not like the idea.