Sign in to follow this  
Joop1962

alternative for Axis Camera Companion

Hello.

first: sorry for the bad English.

I have a Axis P3344 IP camera and a Synology DS 112+ NAS.

I like to know what my options are.

I like to record image (on movement), i tested this allready with following options:

1. Record with Axis firmware to the NAS, but then there is no easy management software.

2. Youse Axis camera companion (then there is VMS software, but very minimal options)

3. Youse Synology Surveillance Station software (running on NAS)

are there annymore options without running a PC 24/7 ?

Milestone XProtect is no option i think? i have to leave the pc running then?

So i'm looking for something thats runs on the cam itself or on the nas.

I mean: the trigger must run inside the camera or on the NAS.

thanks...

I use Synology Surveillance Station and it's quite good. Takes a while to figure out all it's features but I would recommend it. First camera is free so you can try it. One weird thing it does to be aware of is that it sets the camera settings to what you chose when you setup the camera, so go back into the camera to make it didn't change a setting you didn't want changed.

Axis allows you to write to a NAS including Synology and manage the recordings using the ACC app, but you have to use their app. Without the app, Axis does not FTP videos or write directly to a NAS, so no other way to do it with Axis. Other camera brands do, not Axis.

Okay....

So there is no other option or software...

Maybe other software that runs on the NAS?

Don't understand, you mean other software on your Synology NAS besides Surveillance Station or other software that can run on a PC like on Windows or other software that can run in-camera like Exacq Edge as thewireguys suggested? You said you didn't want to leave a PC running 24/7 so best solution is the Surveillance Station app for Synology.

As for running on the Synology NAS, Zoneminder (free open source NVR software) can be installed on Synology, but it's a manual effort requiring serious Linux skills, not a supported Synology app that's a click to install. While possible, I can't in good conscious recommend it. The CPU requirements will overwhelm the Atom processors used in their NAS devices.