Sign in to follow this  
purple_jeep

Camera Newbie here

Hi Guys,

I'm from Australia but since i'm technically minded I've been asked to help setup a camera at the friends place I'm staying at.

What he wants is a Camera mounted above his Gate where the keypad for entrance is (Big old fashioned Iron Gate for the cars, walled property) He had the electricians run Coax there when they built the property but he never installed a camera.

There is power for the gate so thats no problem.

Their Budget is around $150-200 and I can build a IR flood light here at work for night work. He would perfer colour during the day.

What are my best options??

The image would be distributed to every TV and input via composite Input (Every TV has two coax run to it, one for Sat. and the other I will use for the camera system).

Thanks

Chris

Does he already have video distribution hardware installed in the home? The reason for the question is, you cannot just run multiple lines from one camera. You will either need to use what is called a distribtuion amplifer or a video modulator.

I would recommend the modulator. It will take your video feed and put it on to a channel on your cable TV service. Look for models from manufactuers like Channel Vision or Channel Plus.

A distribution amplifier will allow you to take one camera feed and send it down multiple coax runs without signal loss. Look for models from manufactuers like Pelco or Compu-Video.

Any inexpensive IR camera will work. Take a look at models such as these:

Digimerge DCB100032

American Dynamics ADC722WP

Lastely, Does he want to be able to speak to the people at the gate? If so, he may need an intercom system. Let us know...

The Intercom system is already hooked up to the phone system,

Ie person presses the # on the number pad at the gate and the phone rings so he can talk to the person at the gate and let them in via the phone system.

At the moment every Room has two coax cables run back to a central AV panel. One cable is connected to the DISH Sat TV Hub and the other I have connected to a 8-way (11db) splitter with the Camera cable as the input and the Coax to the TV as an output which is then input to the TV as a composite input.

Will I need to boost this signal from the camera?

Chris

If it is not amplified then you will need a DA. I would recommend replacing the splitter completely with a Distribution Amp. You are looking for an 8 x 1 DA. Give a call to compu video. Tell them what you are trying to do and they will give you their model numbers:

http://www.compuvideosystemsinc.com

Good Luck.