ou812

Help with a looping dvr

I bought a used dvr1615ncd (says avtech 787 on board). It beeps upon startup and produces no video output on either vga or bnc main outputs. The red led on the mainboard blinks steady as it should for about 2 minutes then it gives one long beep, shuts down and then restarts and continues this process in a loop. Here is what I have tried: tried a hard reset with no luck. Tried another hard drive (that came out of an identical model). Tested voltages from external power supply and at the hd and they're good. No bulging capacitors. Is there a way to load the firmware on a nonbooting dvr or is there somewhere to ship it to that can do this?

I would really appreciate some assistance. Or if anyone can recommend someone that can possibly try to force the firmware onto the chip. Thanks

I bought a used dvr1615ncd (says avtech 787 on board).

Was it bricked when you bought it? I hope you got a real good price...

Is there a way to load the firmware on a nonbooting dvr or is there somewhere to ship it to that can do this?

I would really appreciate some assistance. Or if anyone can recommend someone that can possibly try to force the firmware onto the chip. Thanks

Yes, there is a way. Virtually all electronic devices have a JTAG port through which you can update the programmable devices (flash, FPGAs, etc.) on the board. That's how the factory programmed the flash originally during manufacturing. If you had the correct JTAG interface, the correct programming software, and the correct firmware image for your DVR, you could re-flash it yourself. The problem with that is you don't have any of those things.

Your best bet would be to send it back to the manufacturer and ask them to fix it. That way, if a simple re-flash doesn't correct the problem they can repair the real issue before sending it back to you.

Thanks for your reply. Yes it was bricked when I got it and yes I got it for next to nothing. Where is the best place to contact avtech in the usa? I purchased this identical model over 5 years ago from scd but when I called them they didn't seem like they wanted to help because it is so outdated. I like this model and would like to get it fixed for a backup unit.

Thanks again

Is there anybody in the northeast PA area that may want to give this dvr a look? Or I can ship it to you if you think you can fix it.

thanks