wkdwrx

hdmi cut out when turn fan on and off

hi al I have a question for yous . all my dvr is under the house . I ran a hdmi lead under house and I dril a hole in floor where wall is and the hdmi lead plugs into the back of a wall plate . then a hdmi lead goes to tv . well the problem im having is when I turn the fan speed up or down its like the tv screen turns off and back on but the hdmi lead is nowhere near the fan switch . when its on dvd player it don't do it only when viewing the cameras on tv .

and beside the hdmi on wall plate I have bnc . I ran a bnc to tv and don't cut out when turn fan on or or only hdmi does . weird very weird

This is more of an electrical question than CCTV, but what fan are you turning up and down? Ceiling fan? Box fan? What kind of switch are you using if it's a ceiling fan? Just pulling the cord or is it on a dimmer switch as well?

its a ceiling fan and its a round switch . no dimmer no nothing just speed 1 2 3 off . and the wall plate is about 2m away from where the fan switch is

If it were me I'd replace the fan switch first, and then suspect HDMI wiring shielding problems. A UPS on the TV might help as well. A new wall switch is cheap and easy, and the other two take time and/or money to fix, although you might have a UPS around for your computer to use. If you have to buy one and a UPS DOESN'T fix it, then you WILL have one for your computer or dvr. All three are semi-educated guesses. I'm guessing that fan noise is sneaking into the HDMI circuit of the TV and eliminating culprits.

The switch wouldn't have occurred to me but it's worth a try. Also You could try ferrite rings on your HDMI cable. You can buy split ferrites and tape them onto the lead at each end. It will certainly have an effect but how much is a 'suck it and see' question.

227672_1.jpg

ok I had the sparky come back over I got him to put a new fan switch on the wall and try that did nothing . I bought one of the ferrite rings and did nothing .

its weird only does it when view it on hdmi on tv in room

cause as said above from the recorder to wall place have the hdmi and bnc leads running under house drill hole in floor and connect both into back of wall plate . if use the bnc to tv its fine tuen fan on does nothing . then connect hdmi from wall plate to tv turn fan on black screen for a sec then speed 2 black screen for a sec . I got him to do it to see if the computer monitor under house does it when the tv does it . and no it don't the only thing the computer monitor did when he did it was topleft corner got a lil fuzzy when he turn the fan speeds

I think that turning your fan on is somehow creating enough electronic "noise" to cause your HDMI to shut down (corrupt digital packets) from interference. The noise filters in your TV might be poor, the fan motor itself might be noisier than it should, or you might have arcing in the AC going to the fan somehow. If you have another HDMI tv, try plugging it into the same place as the one with the problem. You might be able to solve it by replacing the TV with one with better noise rejection and moving the one with the problem away from the fan. You might avoid swapping the TV by putting it on a UPS or a power bar with an EMI filter to help clean up the "dirty" power going into it. Also, you can get arcing in the electrical connections at the fan in the junction box where the wires are screwed in. These aren't always visible, so unscrewing the wire connections and inspecting for burns will show the problem. Tightening the screws onto the wires a bit more will help, but cutting off the damaged part of the wire, stripping a new bare end, and retightening is best. Also check your electrical panel for the same problems. A bad connection in the panel box (sometimes invisible under a tight screw) can cause noise as well, even in a ground wire.

I think I'd put money on there being TWO problems though. You've proven that there is noise being generated by the fan somehow (bad motor or bad wiring) because you can see it on the top left corner of the monitor when the fan is turned on. That shouldn't happen. The HDMI TV should also probably handle noise better than that though, so I'd almost bet that trying another TV in the same spot won't have the same HDMI problem even though the noise is still there. Adding a good UPS or EMI-filtering power bar may allow you to keep that TV there without swapping. It's also possible that you have a problem in the shielding of the HDMI cable going to the TV that is allowing too much noise into the signal.