Sign in to follow this  
holmrun

Native iOS Friendly Streams

Hello everyone - looking to incorporate IP cams into my iRule remote automation setup and wanted to know if any of the cameras themselves had native iOS friendly streams that could be hosted on a web page and then displayed on the iOS device browser. The page would then be embedded into an iRule panel so you wouldn't have to leave iRule to view the camera streams. If the cameras themselves don't have an iOS friendly stream - would an NVR or blueiris fill in the gap?

I was originally looking at the hikvision bullets but am open at this point to be honest.

Thank you

,Joey

If you want to display a camera on a webpage using a smartphone browser like Android or IOS that do not support flash, you'll need to re-stream to HTML5 format. Wowsa does this as a higher end commercial solution. I did a write-up on my blog about doing this with Unreal Media Server, it should work with HTML5, have not tried it.

I control my cameras with the OS X software SecuritySpy. The web view from SecuritySpy works great on my iPhone and iPad, just going to the web address I have set up. The MP4 streams don't work on iOS devices, but SecuritySpy has an auto-detect feature when you view the web page, and in this case it does a video only Server-Push JPEG stream which works awesomely and is smooth. I'm assuming other programs out there have similar options.

I think he wants to host it on his own webpage, not use NVR solution that has a web interface, but I could be wrong, but a jpeg push is another way. A while ago someone had a script to do it from Foscam cameras, where he retrieved a jpeg from the camera and displayed it using javascript in a loop to get motion video.

Thanks lishper I will check that out using their test streams. It looks like the web server might work, all I'm trying to do is get a viewable stream that mobile safari can use. Once I have that I can either put that on my own page or use their page and embed it inside an iRule panel. I just don't want to be stuck using an app to get the stream so the iPads can stay in the iRule app at all times.