Yakuzahi

Axis 214 bad night vision picture

Hi

I just bought used Axis 214 off Ebay. The camera have a really nice picture in the day light but in the night its very dark and there is a lot of noise in the picture.

I have a cheap Foscam camera with IR around the lens that works very well in complete darkness.

Do I really need to install IR light near the Axis in order to see a picture in the night time or I can do some changes in the setting to make it better?

Thanks.

Are you hoping to make the Axis work well in complete darkness like your Foscam? You're asking for the impossible. No camera is capable of that - they all need some form of light. If adding IR is not something you are prepared to deal with at the moment, you can always provide regular lighting. A very popular option that should get you going is to get one of those external flood lights that are motion activated and only turn on at night.

Are you hoping to make the Axis work well in complete darkness like your Foscam? You're asking for the impossible. No camera is capable of that - they all need some form of light. If adding IR is not something you are prepared to deal with at the moment, you can always provide regular lighting. A very popular option that should get you going is to get one of those external flood lights that are motion activated and only turn on at night.

Thank you for the info.

I just don't understand why Axis call it Day and Night camera if the camera cannot preform at complete darkness?

It has a mechanical IR cut filter which engages at night. This gives it potential for viewing in complete darkness when used together with proper IR. Not all cameras have this. They've essentially provided the technology in the camera so the IR can be installed as an 'add-on' by the user. I do agree however that the term 'day and night' camera does leave the impression to a buyer that the 'night' part works right out of the box.