ramcewan

motion detection settings to avoid false alarms

I have a Q-See Net DVR with 1.3MP bullet cameras.

The model is QC-808 NVR and the cameras are Q-See QCN7001B (aka Dahua IPC-HFW2100).

I am currently using default settings and getting a lot of false alarms on the motion detection. Moths at night and rustling leaves during the day. I know I can fine tune the area to avoid the leaves but the moths fly everywhere at night because of the dim red led glow.

What sensitivity settings can people recommend to avoid the false alarms but still pick up the big movements (i.e. people).

Thanks in advance.

I have the same system as you. Only real solution to it is to install some PIR motion detectors. I installed two sensors outside and now I hardly ever get any false activations. Do a search on here for Bosch, Optex or DSC.

I think lowpro is right that and you need to install the same kind of installer or better to contact the vendor thay can help you better than other people over here.

I have the same system as you. Only real solution to it is to install some PIR motion detectors. I installed two sensors outside and now I hardly ever get any false activations. Do a search on here for Bosch, Optex or DSC.

sounds like a solution. Do you mind sharing what you went with?

Wireless seems attractive but expensive, I see plenty of Shenzen ones on ebay but don't understand what base unit would be used with these?

I could probably run wired ones but I'm not sure where to start with those, any recommendations would be welcome.

sounds like a solution. Do you mind sharing what you went with?

Wireless seems attractive but expensive, I see plenty of Shenzen ones on ebay but don't understand what base unit would be used with these?

I could probably run wired ones but I'm not sure where to start with those, any recommendations would be welcome.

I bought 2. One is a Optex LX-402 (IIRC, Outdoor Model for sure) and other other is an indoor Optex that I am using outdoors. Both are working fine. http://www.optexamerica.com/security-products/lx-402

Edit: The other is a MX-40PI http://www.optexamerica.com/security-products/mx-40pi

You would need to run 2 wires plus 12v power to each sensor. 2 of those wires need to make it all the way back to the rear of the nvr unit to get wired into the I/O strip. Really easy actually. Look over the manual for the nvr and read up on the I/O ports.

Thanks lowpro...

Is there a limit to how long the wire run can be for these wired sensors?

You know, I'm not totally sure, mine run about 120ft.

What kind of length are you talking about?

Thanks lowpro...

Is there a limit to how long the wire run can be for these wired sensors?

You know, I'm not totally sure, mine run about 120ft.

What kind of length are you talking about?

probably 200 ft or so... not sure. I'd have to run them from the DVR in an upstairs bedroom, up into the attic and then down into the basement and outside from there. I know 100' will get me from the attic to the basement but not much further. I have a camera in the basement in the garage (garage under house) that used almost the full 100' cat-5e that came with each camera.

Maybe Hikvision Smart IPC is an solution for you, the smart motion detection function is better than built-in motion detection, reducing false alarm caused and still catching people and cars.