cwm123

Putting Hikvision NVR firmware onto Lorex NVR

Buellwinkle, did you have to go through the serial/reset process to install 2.3.4 or were you able to get through the upgrade "clean"?

I started dirty, it was an NVR that someone bought and returned because they tried to upgrade the firmware and lost the admin userid. Hikvision provided the recovery code and it reset the password and I installed the latest from the Hikvision Europe site and works fine, at least with Dahua and Hikvision cameras.

I have no issues with cameras on the external LAN connection, both Lorex(hikvision) and Vivotek.

I haven't tried any ONVIF cameras.

When I did the firmware, I did perform a reset to defaults, try that.

I upgraded my Lorex unit to Hikvision 2.3.4 today; I was able to do the update without problem through TFTP even though the onscreen update process has the same result others encountered of leaving the unit in a state where it had to be reset with a code from Hikvision.

TFTP process is more of a hassle but is not that bad. Get the Hikvision TFTP tool, put the firmware .dav file in the directory with the TFTP program, set your IP to 192.0.0.64 and reboot the NVR. Just remember to turn off the TFTP server after it sends the firmware over, otherwise you just end up repeating it over and over...

The PoE ports work fine. I had to reset all my cameras -- the Lorex firmware leaves them in a state that Hikvision doesn't talk to. I just set them to factory defaults with the 5.0.2 firmware and cameras were automatically connected on all 8 ports.

One shortcoming with the PoE connections, although not new, is that you cannot access the advanced picture settings, (WDR, Noise reduction, etc., etc.). You can only access them through a web browser or the iVMS-4200 software if the cameras are connected to your LAN (or your PC is connected to the PoE port of the NVR).

Putting the cameras on the LAN will work fine technically. You have to setup the cameras manually so it is a little more hassle. The big drawback to me is security; with the PoE ports if someone grabbed my ethernet cable from a camera and hooked up a computer to it, they wouldn't get past the NVR; but with the camera on the LAN, my exterior cables become an easier access point into my LAN.

cwm123

Thanks, not sure I understand, cannot access the advanced picture settings, your are correct I cant, (unless your PC is connected to the PoE port of the NVR). My Pc is connected to a switch then to the NVR

Right, if you are connected to the LAN side of the NVR through a switch (the normal way you would have your network setup), then you will not be able to access the cameras directly so you can only administer them through the NVR using the web interface to the NVR (not to the Camera) or the iVMS-4200 application talking to the NVR. In both of these cases you don't get the "advanced settings" options for the picture.

If you want to access those settings you can either (1) hookup a computer to an unused PoE port, or (2) move the camera to the LAN side - I guess either can be a temporary solution until you get the settings as you wish.

Chris